My Lupo GTI

neebsta

It was bought with that problem. No idea. The front left wheel was an inch further back than the front right. All sorted now and clearance distance is exactly the same on both sides. I can’t imagine that this was an intentional design feature.

It’s basically had the full corner replaced. Track rods, stub axle, shocks springs, CV joint etc. Alignment bar tracking is now spot on.

Edited by neebsta

Pothole damage? Claim from the council I did. All receipts and work paid. You need to identify a hole that they were aware of before the work was done, but were negligent about repairing. Our local council marks holes with a white paint box, then does nothing for a few weeks while everyone buggers up their suspension/tyres.

I had to take them to court in the end. But they had no choice but to pay up. Ultimately, if they are aware of a serious hazard/danger on a road that they are responsible for, they need to either close off the road, put a barrier up and fix it within a reasonable time. Same for lamp posts down, missing manhole covers and road surface edge degradation. If they do nothing, they can be found to be negligent, as they have a duty of care....

13 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Pothole damage? Claim from the council I did. All receipts and work paid. You need to identify a hole that they were aware of before the work was done, but were negligent about repairing. Our local council marks holes with a white paint box, then does nothing for a few weeks while everyone buggers up their suspension/tyres.

I had to take them to court in the end. But they had no choice but to pay up. Ultimately, if they are aware of a serious hazard/danger on a road that they are responsible for, they need to either close off the road, put a barrier up and fix it within a reasonable time. Same for lamp posts down, missing manhole covers and road surface edge degradation. If they do nothing, they can be found to be negligent, as they have a duty of care....

It wasn’t my vehicle when whatever happened happened. It’s been SORN since I bought it, so I wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. It’s all good now except for a couple of bits - rear wiper motor is now defunct - a common VW fault. Then the body work 😃 This car is like Triggers broom 👍🏻 It’s only for playing with so there’s no rush for the work to be completed.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, neebsta said:

It’s basically had the full corner replaced. Track rods, stub axle, shocks springs, CV joint etc. Alignment bar tracking is now spot on.

I suspect you mean Control arm instead of stub axle - Great to see this back on the road

That's a hub carrier :)

I'd be surprised if that got bent. They're strong. If the wheel was pushed back, then my guess is that the lower wishbone (track control arm) was damaged. It'd be easy to it see as well.

A stub axle is a shaft that the bearings slide onto. Or for the front, the sleeve that the CV joint splined section slides into. Basically, the bit that rotates, and you attach a wheel and drum/disk to.

Ah, makes sense now, seen a few bend, weakest part is the steering arm.

They go by a few names, all will bring up items on ebay: bearing carrier -this is the most accurate description, knuckle, hub -this can be confused with below

28 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Or for the front, the sleeve that the CV joint splined section slides into. Basically, the bit that rotates, and you attach a wheel and drum/disk to.

Sorry, that's a drive flange ...that sometimes gets called a Hub... that gets confused with bearing carriers

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

That's a hub carrier :)

I'd be surprised if that got bent. They're strong. If the wheel was pushed back, then my guess is that the lower wishbone (track control arm) was damaged. It'd be easy to it see as well.

A stub axle is a shaft that the bearings slide onto. Or for the front, the sleeve that the CV joint splined section slides into. Basically, the bit that rotates, and you attach a wheel and drum/disk to.

To be honest I’ve heard it named many things. When I asked at a scrappers for a passenger front stub axle - they presented me with the right part. I shall refer to the part as part A.

Yes, it was this part that was bent, as the two parts were compared side by side once the old one was removed. As all of the running gear has been replaced, replacing this amongst everything else on that front left corner has remedied the issue, which was a priority.

I taxed and insured it on Friday so I can run everything in and try and pinpoint some of the interior rattles, which are a bit annoying. Over time I’ll get to the bottom of them like I did with my T4.

• Like 1

LOL! Maybe we just have our own own names for everything... I suppose if everyone understands each other who cares.

I thought that a drive flange is the flat bit that a wheel or inner CV attaches to with bolts. As in it "flanges out". What do I know?

The knee bone is connected to the hip bone. The hip bone is connected to... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted a new honeycomb grille (I was cleaning the original grille and one of our new kittens knocked it off the table and it cracked 🤦🏻‍♂️) and fitted red piping and I also laid red vinyl into the ‘I’ on the front and rear GTI badges.

86639EBC-61C1-47E4-8A14-7AE697738C5E.jpeg

CBB6D4A6-447C-421F-A03B-746A6CB9E81F.jpeg

Edited by neebsta

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Due to the fact the OEM exhaust had more holes than a sieve. Today I fitted this Scorpion exhaust. It wouldn’t have probably been my first choice - but was well priced and completely unused in original packaging. It does fill the bumper better than the original.

81F5E035-5FDF-452E-81D6-73B566A6770A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This GTi has delivered a few interesting faults to solve. The latest being the rear wash wipe - which now works, doesn’t leak in the boot lid or the rear passenger panel.

It required a lot of swearing, 3 wiper motors and an auto electrician.

This was a moment of lockdown deep joy.

• 3 months later...

I haven’t done a lot to the Lupo. Although I have managed to remove a third brake light from a replacement spoiler I managed to get hold of. It’s in reasonably clean condition, it just requires a respray in black as it’s silver. The bolts used to attach were not salvageable. Threads into the the spoiler have been recut and just trying to find a body shop that can bring it back to life.