Lupo 1.4 16V AHW problem.

dgk22

On my car is LPG injection, it has it's own ecu, separate map sensor and even has the lambda connected to it to make minor changes to the mixture. Still have to correct it for bigger changes but didn't see a timing control in the software. Because if it's running of the ECU map for timing and i have a feeling it's in limp mode because of the missing camshaft sensor it threw a code for it, no check engine light so far. Weird though why they decided to have both camshaft and crankshaft sensors usually one is enough on a simple motor like this.
At the moment it's setup to change over at 30C of the coolant, it should have a temp sensor in the reductor have not really looked into the system that much. 
Just the thought it is a separate programmable ECU kind of like a standalone/piggyback thing. Though i think it's setup to have the fuel pump running because i can hear it when driving on LPG.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mk2 said:

I'd get an o2 meter rigged up. At least it will tell you if the fuelling is ok.

You can look it up with vcds - lambda factor. It is really rich. 
Really didn't want to use the dizzy, but looks like i'm gonna have to.
Any way to run the ABS with the afh ecu and loom?

Using the dizzy wont change the mix... Rich on gas or petrol? If on gas, then maybe use smaller nozzles. If rich on petrol, then the ECU is measuring sensors wrong, or the wrong sensor is being used.

I don't know an easy way to enable ABS. You'll need to find someone who can enable it in the ECU, with software.

It's rich on petrol because the lupo ECU is supposed to run with 130cc injectors, now that i have put the afh which are 200cc the times are too long so it throws way too much petrol. 
Also ECU thinks that is running a 1.4 75hp AHW engine when it is an AFH stroked to 1.6, just needs a remap.
And lean on gas have to change injectors and reductor, but not much point since timings need to be adjusted first.
I don't want to use the dizzy, but i can't find anyone to remap the shitty Magneti Marelli 4AV IAW ECU that is in the lupo.
So that leaves me with a few choices:
Run the AFH loom and ecu so i have to use the dizzy, and get rid of ABS,
Get an ECUmaster det3+ piggyback and hope it would be able to sort out timing with it
Get a standalone like Megasquirt and loose ABS, A/C...
The fact that i can't find anyone to remap it so it works fine, makes me think that no one would be able to enable the ABS, due to the ABS block being different in the Polo and Lupo.

I'd start by swapping the injectors to something a bit smaller. The ECU should be able to trim the mix by quite a bit, just from the lambda readings.

An ECU is an ECU. Which brand is not critical, so long as it works...

Well what injectors would fit? The original 130cc i think will be way too small, i will try then in the next few days probably anyway. 
The brand is critical when it's not popular, nobody wants to spend the time looking for all the maps for a lupo 75hp ECU because they will probably never use them again, and will charge a lot more money than the ecumaster det3+ if you find anyone that is willing to spend the time at all...

I can't remember if you've added extra air to the engine? If the swept volume is about the same, then the same injectors should be fine. If you think about it, you need 14.7 parts air and 1 part fuel. So even if you've stroked or bored the engine, it'll be still pretty close to original. Think about how much the ecu has to compensate for ambient air pressure, full throttle fuelling, cold or hot engine, blocked fuel or air filter, poor quality fuel etc. Most ECUs can pull in at least 10% fuelling (or add).

Wierd fact: 1 atm pressure = 14.7 PSI just coincidence or by design....? (It's how I remember pressure and stoichiometric fuel ratio conversions).

Well the AFH stock injectors are 200cc for the 1.4 now making the engine 1.6 and putting smaller (130cc) doubt it would be able to make up the difference, i will try anyway. Still timing would need touching a bit too. Any ideas for that?

Is the combustion chamber shape the same? If yes, and the compression ratio is about the same, then the timing should be about the same. No easy way to change the timing on ecu controlled ignition. It's all based on crank angle pickup, rpm, engine/air temp, load and knock sensor adjustments. Even with a dizzy, i don't think you can adjust it, if crank angle based.

On the dizzy, you can adjust it easy just turn it in the direction you need, but on this you need to remap ecu, it's not hard but you need the right tools, and on this ECU no one wants to spend the time to work it out, because it's not profitable. The compression ratios is the same, but shape of the combustion chamber is different, timings needs to be touched up a bit.

Edited by dgk22
bad english