R.I.P my Lupo TDI....

Sausage

Don't get a mk4 golf.... if going bigger, go Audi or maybe a Passat. Mk4's have got to be the most fault riddled vdub ever. I have one sadly. But they are comfy for a long euro cruise.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, Sausage said:

Dog is fine, the seats were down in the back like a van and he was on a tether and harness to stop him entering the front of the car in a sudden braking or crash, he hit the back of the folded seats which flop about and is mostly foam with heavy wire supports. He indicated some stiffness in right shoulder the next day when getting up from a nap but that was after normal idiocy and running about, normal since then.

I'm with Aviva. I have always viewed insurance a necessary evil who will do everything in their powers to avoid paying out, so i always go no frills. Protected no claims sounds great but you are paying the same as the difference every year to have it instead of just taking it on the chin after a claim. Legal protection there are free alternatives available (i just signed up to one thanks to @mk2

I should get the £350 excess back but not sure off who. I am an insurance claims noob having never had a crash (involving more than just me) or made a claim before.

You claim the excess from the person who caused the accident

Someone on reddit said the car has done 120k in 3 years, I dont know as i havent checked to confirm, but if so, I think he drives like this most of the time would be my guess.

I am on to the tigra insurance for the £350 excess, if no joy then the free motor legal solicitors will pursue it for me.

4 hours ago, weslangdon said:

If the lower bit of the rear 3/4 on the drivers side is ok I'd buy that from you, the bit down to the rear wheel arch and including the sill about 1ft square, mines rusty and needs replacing

Not sure yet, I'll see if i can pull / push the damage out and get the door opening and shutting again mainly just to see if I can. Track day car? Does the shell actually have to be crushed? I doubt it, I'll send the docs in though as I think i have to.

5 hours ago, weslangdon said:

If its that Red Loop from Ammanford, I would try to save it if I were you

I'm on it. Supposedly better weather all next week so will see if i can get most of it done then. Dragged it out today, has a rust hole in front subframe that will need welding so I'll see if i can get gas sorted out. I'll stick the original engine back in with a new clutch and JDD box instead of doing double duty moving everything across from my wrecked one.

Yes they do rust... see mine just before welding it. I've sourced one from another member on here that I'll be replacing it with at some point. Only noticed it when the box was out for refurbishment. Tiny little hole, so I started poking with a screwdriver. Yeah, you can imagine my reaction. Other side is perfect.

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

H'mm hope it isnt nearly as bad as that, but didnt poke it to find out. I have a co2 extinguisher i forgot about so dont need gas.

Police are here tomorrow for my statement, they will be looking to charge him with dangerous driving among other things.

Edited by Sausage

I get my CO2 in brewery cylinders from 'mr fizz'. £10 a big bottle, but you have to have an empty to give them to swap. Breakers yards sometimes have them, or local council tip. Or get friendly with your local publican (which is how I found out that mr fizz supplies them one afternoon!).

Seems to be mainly a drivers side issue, which is odd as I'd expect more rust on the nearside, I've had mine welded up but the car originated in Darlington so will have had a lot of winter salt exposure, the rust on the rear 3/4 is cosmetic, terrible photo though

DSC04532 (3).JPG

There's a fair bit of work there. You'll need a continuous seam weld all round- underneath will be fun! I absolutely hated every minute welding my subframe. With the wire/cable/gas feed coming out of the handle, working in such a tight space was tricky, with all those angles.

Angle grinder time!

On 1/16/2020 at 4:22 PM, weslangdon said:

You claim the excess from the person who caused the accident

Ultimately yes- But they have very clear routes of blame - and in turn the claim - good example I know was decades ago, a friend rear ended a car stopped at lights, this concertinaed 2 other cars, car at front claimed off the middle car, middle car took that sum and added their own to the total and claimed off the car my friend hit - their insurance then claimed all 3 cars damage/costs off my friends insurance.

From what I can tell only the Lupo & Tigra were damaged, tigra hit Lupo - Sausage will claim everything off Tigra's insurance who in turn will attempt to claim off  the nutter Skoda driver.

It could get interesting Internally within the insurance companies- as Sausage and the nutter both share insurers, they have to look after Sausage, but I suspect they will go to the usual default stance of avoiding payout to Tigra from nutters insurance.

If the cops successfully prosecute the skoda driver, that'll put all the responsibility on him/her. So in theory, both @Sausage and the tigra driver should end up with no financial loss. If I were @Sausage, I'd meet up with the Tigra driver and discuss options. Probably not allowed, but who's gonna find out...? Two people putting a claim against one should work better? What do I know...?! I don't know if the two near miss drivers stopped and handed over contact details. That'd help too I guess to strengthen any case, and help the cops.

Afraid I don't see it like that - don't forget Vauxhaull driver was not paying attention, you could take the nutter completely out of the equation, Mr tigra should have left enough space to stop.

Best to leave it to the insurance company to deal with, Sausage's film is enough evidence for them - that is if they can do anything with it.  I would suggest Sausage keeps this at arms length - I witnessed a rear end outside my house - offered to be a witness as the other car drove off + spoke to police - my good deed turned into being harassed for information from the insurers for over 6 months just for a light ding. 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, mk2 said:

There's a fair bit of work there. You'll need a continuous seam weld all round- underneath will be fun! I absolutely hated every minute welding my subframe. With the wire/cable/gas feed coming out of the handle, working in such a tight space was tricky, with all those angles.

Angle grinder time!

Yep, done it before though on a Mk 2 Scirroco

Just one hole in the subframe, welded that up today which turned into a bit of a task but got there in the end. As it hadnt been used for a long time the welder was displaying error codes and was stuck on stick welder function and switching it off and on didnt clear it. Eventually found in the manual how to reset it to factory settings which I did and was then able to get into the menus and actually do anything with it, but a bit of a panic there. Went with gasless wire (mistake) because  I couldnt find my CO2 regulator and used some 1.2mm galvanised stuff instead of the thin 0.8mm Lupo wing I was initially going to use for the patch. Covered it in black goop to hide the bird poo.

Skoda man is being interviewed under caution tomorrow. Police have my footage, and will also be getting the stationary black subarus footage and also the footage from the lead car of the two he cut in front of ahead of me.  He said my footage alone is enough for dangerous driving. It will be handed off to traffic division to deal with it and then CPS if it gets that far.

Dscn5267.jpg

Dscn5269.jpg

Nice repair. Don't forget to bung a load of goop inside it too...

I'd love to see the footage from the other cars. Seeing a skoda charging straight at you in those conditions. No fun.

Edited by mk2