R.I.P my Lupo TDI....

Sausage

Insurance and police are going after the skoda driver, he (or she) is local and on same insurance company as me. They will be recovering all costs from them. Footage in ghost car scenarios like this is vital to establish no fault (in my case).

I got book value (£950ish) minus salvage (£86) and my £350 excess so £520ish to me now with possibility of getting the £350 in several months time when liability is finally established by the insurance companies, i might have to take that to court to get that though as i dont have legal cover.

CAT B parts only. Shame about the 3 day old MOT eh.

52 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Insurance and police are going after the skoda driver, he (or she) is local and on same insurance company as me. They will be recovering all costs from them. Footage in ghost car scenarios like this is vital to establish no fault (in my case).

I got book value (£950ish) minus salvage (£86) and my £350 excess so £520ish to me now with possibility of getting the £350 in several months time when liability is finally established by the insurance companies, i might have to take that to court to get that though as i dont have legal cover.

CAT B parts only. Shame about the 3 day old MOT eh.

That is good news (cops...). I'll help if you need 'legal. They have no defence for their actions that I can see... You can even see the Skoda's advanced emergency brake light system flashing when he/she was on the wrong side of the road, panicing about to have a head on. Complete idiot. Should be banned for driving like that in those conditions. The video says it all really. Damn good reason to have a decent dash cam. All mine now have super clear 1080P on a TV (front only though- Crosstour brand).

You should be able to claim salvage and any other reasonable costs by the way (like taxi home).

One of my cars was nicked a couple of years ago (a Mk2). A Sunday night. I had just spent the whole weekend building and fitting a bespoke new Cunifer brake pipe system, calipers, compensator, discs and pads. Hours of work and parts. Gone. All that time lost is the worst part.... Hours for nothing. That really hurt.

But, looking up- you have loads of bits for sale now! What do you have...? :) Here come the vultures.

Loads of bits for sale? Naw, every panel is damaged or marked up from the crash and stupid recovery / storage yard. I did get it delivered back to my drive next day by the insurance though when i was thinking i'd have to recover that home on my own time and money.

But the nice bits remain except one front shock which got beat about quite hard (not burst as I initially thought, that was a loosened brake union on that caliper pouring brake fluid on the road, I thought it smelled and tasted like brake fluid but was a bit foggy with other things to sort out at the time). I'll try and shift an engine though as dont need 3 TDI engines and a gearbox or two.

Engine, gearbox, suspension (if that beat up Koni looks worth saving) and stainless exhaust will go on the red one. I might stick the long ratio JDD in instead and flog on the LSD box though, not sure yet.

10 hours ago, Skezza said:

Don't break it. Not yet.

Oh, why? I own it, I bought the salvage.  Or do you mean some other reason?

I've stripped the damaged corner and going to put a drive shaft, wishbone etc back on just to get it mobile again today.

Edited by Sausage

35 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Red one needs the back seats and belts as it was used as a van, same red mouse seats too. What do you need

Air filter access flap for my SDI. Plus one or two other bits that I can't think of right now. I've already bought some bits off someone else on here, so most of my needs have been fulfilled- just need to collect them.

Rear beams and front subframes are worth a lot BTW. As are good TDI engines.

There have been a lot of comments on your video... Just shows how many people have been affected by it. And a LOT of hate towards that Skoda driver. I wonder if they've been told about it by the police. I'm sure it'll go to court and you'll be called as a witness (you can claim costs there too). 

51 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Oh, why? I own it, I bought the salvage.  Or do you mean some other reason?

I've stripped the damaged corner and going to put a drive shaft, wishbone etc back on just to get it mobile again today.

If it's a good TDI it's worth getting back on the road

It's CAT B, parts only and shell crushed, never to return to the road and DVLA will not issue docs on it. I didnt bother contesting that as it is quite bad on the corner and A pillar plus the VIN number disappeared down behind the dashboard so it wouldnt get another MOT without it anyway.

Front subframe moved back about 10mm on front mounting bolt so probably bent, steering rack is fine it wouldnt move while unloading because the hub knuckle castor was at 90 degrees from normal and the wheel was jammed in the arch (it was outside the arch at the scene), track rod end thread was stretched and bent. 

Edited by Sausage

uh, ok. If subframe bent or moved, chances are it'd take a load of work to rejig it. Still a shame after all the hours spent on it. Do you have a pic of the Tigra? Bet they were shook up a bit too.

Probably not bent, i got a new wishone to go straight in it today when i was expecting it to be a pig if bent any, looks to have just moved it a bit but wont really know until i take it off and see it rocking on the floor from twist.

i didnt have my phone with me so no pics, I think the wheels hit so I ripped his rear left suspension back.

Edited by Sausage

Whoa! - that's mental, is the Dog OK?

Who are you insured with?  - After my pretty good outcome with Aviva I am surprised you are expecting to wait months for yours - too late now, but always get legal cover.

A weird anomaly about UK accidents is the insurance company now responsible to tell the Department of work and pensions that you have had an accident - out of the blue last week, I got a letter from their "debt recovery unit"  - typical government, cant write a letter like a human -  it didn't mention anything about the accident or who had contacted them, it just looked like identity theft! - desperate for more information I went to the website listed in the letter... and as a final FU it didn't work!

Edited by LR5V

Dog is fine, the seats were down in the back like a van and he was on a tether and harness to stop him entering the front of the car in a sudden braking or crash, he hit the back of the folded seats which flop about and is mostly foam with heavy wire supports. He indicated some stiffness in right shoulder the next day when getting up from a nap but that was after normal idiocy and running about, normal since then.

I'm with Aviva. I have always viewed insurance a necessary evil who will do everything in their powers to avoid paying out, so i always go no frills. Protected no claims sounds great but you are paying the same as the difference every year to have it instead of just taking it on the chin after a claim. Legal protection there are free alternatives available (i just signed up to one thanks to @mk2

I should get the £350 excess back but not sure off who. I am an insurance claims noob having never had a crash (involving more than just me) or made a claim before.

I agree on NCB protection - but legal protection is cheap.

My experience of legal cover in insurance is currently being supported for sprained wrist in the crash & I'll throw in a non car related one - had a really bad house sale, it took over 3 years but we finally had a judgement that the errant buyer owes us 40k - legal cover in the home insurance got us to that conclusion. Couple that with free legal advise, for the small fee I would rather be with it than without.

I sent a millennial at work your video link, he said "Oh that one! its been front page on Reddit for the last week"

On 1/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, Sausage said:

I should get the £350 excess back but not sure off who. I am an insurance claims noob having never had a crash (involving more than just me) or made a claim before.

You will be claiming off the Vauxhaull, they crossed into your right of way.

The issue they will have, is they should have left enough room between them and the car they were following to stop safely - despite the evidence that the Skoda was being driven very dangerously -  The car that stopped to let the Skoda in and even the the second car stopped as well - 3rd car the Tigra wasn't paying attention.

Edited by LR5V

15 hours ago, LR5V said:

You will be claiming off the Vauxhaull, they crossed into your right of way.

The issue they will have, is they should have left enough room between them and the car they were following to stop safely - despite the evidence that the Skoda was being driven very dangerously -  The car that stopped to let the Skoda in and even the the second car stopped as well - 3rd car the Tigra wasn't paying attention.

Correct, I misremembered on reddit when I said he was blaming the overtaker, he actually just couldnt understand why the black car stopped in the road and was blaming him, i told him why he'd had to stop to avoid the head on. So yes he wasnt paying attention or was too close.

It could have been much worse, I saw him stick his nose round and was about to make the corrections when he changed his mind and dived for the verge. Time was running at half speed in those last few seconds, all i know is try not to make it worse by taking desperate measures to avoid a minor shunt especially if that puts you at fault. 

Distances and perspective in the footage are nothing like what i was seeing. i go quiet in the footage when i am on extreme concentration and threat assessment, it took a while to realise the black car was actually completely stationary, the car up the bank appeared over the subarus bonnet from my perspective likely as I had been looking at the brake lights of the two cars ahead of me and my distance to them which had closed, they got off their brakes and resumed their journey, I was distracted by the car going up the bank and then the Tigra appeared as well. As said already, that was fine, but changing his mind was not.

Ever had a dream where you cant run when pursued by things or people? It was like that. 

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1