Untidy GTI

Chris-M

Hi All.

I have run my GTI for a while now. Maintained it, replaced parts where needed etc. Body has always been poor, and was on my list of things to do, although its questionable due to the cost of paintwork whether it was worth doing or not. Usual bubbling at the base of the drivers door, a dent in the rear 1/4, stone chipped bonnet, lacquer lift on front and rear bumpers, bubbling at the tail gate handle. Bubbling at front end of sills. Flies through its MOT every year and gets used and abused as the shopping car, everyday transport etc. Sadly an altercation with a deer over the holiday has sealed its fate as far as me putting it in a body shop. Front nearside wing now has two dents, as does the rear 1/4 to match the drivers side. Its on 120K now, got a noisy starter, but otherwise its MOT'd and fine. So what i'd like a guesstimate at is what is it worth? Shall I stick it in the for sale here, or is it an ebay job? I will be sad to see it go, as its good fun, but it really is in need of bodywork now, and I know I will never do it. In my ownership its had a new screen, discs and pads, toyos, two springs, rear shocks, alternator, cam belt and service. has a spare set of Bathursts with legal tyres as well. 

Any ideas?

Hi Chris

The price is a little bit dependant on a few things

1. Age of the car

2. What gearbox does it have (6 or 5)

3. What colour is the car

4. How bad are the dents in the wings (these are aluminum)

Any pics would be great.

Hi. 

Six Speed

Silver

Golf ball / nobbly bits on a deers head size dents. Dinged it on the leading edge by the light and above the centre of the arch. Yes they are aluminium. 

Will get some pictures at the weekend, but TBH it looks pretty good in photos.

Lets say it will cost £1500 to get sorted,have a test drive in the car you want next I'm guessing it won't be half as much fun,and how long before you loose £1500 on that car.As for a price to sell now if seen same mileage as yours no dints at £2250 take over two months to sell not sure what they got.

Thanks for all the replies.

A few pictures below. Its not a total shed, but its on its way to being one. If I could do the bodywork myself, it would be viable. But paying someone, especially down here in the south east blows it out the water. Its too good to break. 

I have another money pit of the roughly the same age, so really need to concentrate on one or the other. No way is it worth 2.5 - 3. I'd want one with no bodywork needed for that. Is it worth 1500?

Cheers - Chris.

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

It's one of those 'do you really want to start chopping it out' jobs, or just clean it up cosmetically and keep it at bay. Ultimately, it will keep coming back, but it passes MOT OK. If I was keeping it, I'd just clean it all up, paint it and fill the area inside with Bilt Hamber. Cutting it out, you'd still end up grafting in pieces, weld and bare metal inside would still need protection and the outside would still need a load of filler etc. Left long enough it will really start to fall apart, and need chopping out.

• Like 1

After a bit of research on here and a phone call, it seems you can still get the front pillar and sill assembly back as far as the B post. Approx 150 a side, which is not that bad. Paying someone to cut it out, weld the new in then make good and paint it will be more than the panel.

6E3 809 839A - N/S

6E3 809 840A - O/S

• 1 year later...

Back from the dead on this topic.

Having driven around and still flying through the MOT, I now have a hole in my sill. Not structural, but I can no longer ignore it.

6E3 809 839A & 840A are now NLA. Should have bought those when they were still available. 

Does anyone else make a repair section for the GTI outer lower A pillar / front door step? I really don't want to have to make one from scratch.

Alternatively, anyone put their GTI through a hedge, or onto its roof recently that could cut me out two corners?

Cheers - Chris.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris-M said:

Back from the dead on this topic.

Having driven around and still flying through the MOT, I now have a hole in my sill. Not structural, but I can no longer ignore it.

6E3 809 839A & 840A are now NLA. Should have bought those when they were still available. 

Does anyone else make a repair section for the GTI outer lower A pillar / front door step? I really don't want to have to make one from scratch.

Alternatively, anyone put their GTI through a hedge, or onto its roof recently that could cut me out two corners?

Cheers - Chris.

Tried both the parts on the hertiage DB and they are not avalaible on there at present. I may be worth phoning? What i have found is only "some" of the part numbers have been transferred accross. No idea why all of them could not of been.

https://classic.heritagepartscentre.com/?DisplayPage=1

Edited by lupo1.0se

Thanks all. Tried Heritage, and they seemed totally disinterested. I have to say, apart from a gear lever gaiter and door step strips for an R32, they have never been able to help me with much.

Noughties VW are a real pain to get parts for now, and I fear the demand is never going to be there, like it has been for air cooled, Mk1/2 GTI, or a lot of other classics. 

Next stop the breakers for a corner chop, but I think that highly unlikely to come to anything. Did you ever get one for your car Rich? what did you do with the burnt black one?

Transfer the bits off your rotter onto the grey one? 

If you don't get round to it, let me know. Be a shame to let it rot out. If I could find another shell like you have, or a car with a blown engine, that's what i'd do.

Cheers - Chris