LUPO TDI Sport

weslangdon

14 hours ago, weslangdon said:

No idea but would guess not, is it worth doing or just being cautious, I have another TDI on 175k and its fine too

A2 forum has some interesting stuff...

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/1-4-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-chain-and-chain-tensioner-replacement.35539/

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/hydraulic-timing-belt-tensioner.37613/

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/603491-TB-WP-question

My SDIs all still fine on around 110k each. But I've rebuilt injectors, gearboxes and starter motors (they get noisy). And reupholstered one driver's seat (imported the fabric from a passenger seat in Germany).

I think @danno has done his Tdi tensioner.

@Rich , is "koop" northern speak for road salt?

Yeah, read things here and there. But they are the exact same engine... Polo, A2 and Lupo.

I wish vdub would bring back the AHU 1.9 TDI lump (and derivatives). Such a good engine. Clean burning, efficient and low emissions too. Better than the new 2L thing.

• Like 1

Mines coming up to 192k I think, it’s currently only doing around 4/5k a year. Part of me wants to part ways but would it ever make sense to let go of £30 tax and brilliant mpg? I love it overall.

• Like 1

I think I may upgrade to a 1.4 tdi after the next mot on my 1.7 sdi. Although I run veg oil which is cheaper (with some diesel of course) I'd like a bit more grunt and better mpg. I'm getting around 48mpg on short journeys so I'm guessing a 1.4 tdi can do a bit better than that as it's got a bit more poke so you dont have to 'hammer' it as such. Have people found the 1.4 tdi to be much better on fuel?

Apparently the sdi is unbeatable on fuel, I’ve only drove my sdi about 20/30 miles so I can’t comment on that, but I’m averaging mid 50’s on the tdi, mix of driving. I’ve read the sdi barely gets below 70mpg.

2 hours ago, danno said:

Never make sense to let go of £30 tax and brilliant mpg...

Main reason i have them. Cheaper to run day to day than just about any other car. Fox, up, smart, aygo, i10 etc... And being nearly 20 years old now, rock bottom parts prices.

1 hour ago, danno said:

Apparently the sdi is unbeatable on fuel, I’ve only drove my sdi about 20/30 miles so I can’t comment on that, but I’m averaging mid 50’s on the tdi, mix of driving. I’ve read the sdi barely gets below 70mpg.

Could be my exhaust that's the issue, I've got a feeling its straight piped. I'll try and find a stock exhaust and I'll give it a good service and I'd be happy at 60mpg on short journeys tbh. Otherwise its faultless, I like the fact that being a basic engine theres little to go wrong.

14 hours ago, Stephenmacleod said:

Have people found the 1.4 tdi to be much better on fuel?

Mine averages 58 to 63. I do 13 miles each way to work on roads that limit me to 50mph. I can get 60mpg sat between 70 / 80 on the motorway but I do have a non standard box with longer ratios. I get around 530 miles out of a tank, the best was 580.

I have a LWB T5 which does 37mpg on a run. I reckon the Arosa is free just on the fuel economy savings.

1 hour ago, yeha said:

Mine averages 58 to 63. I do 13 miles each way to work on roads that limit me to 50mph. I can get 60mpg sat between 70 / 80 on the motorway but I do have a non standard box with longer ratios. I get around 530 miles out of a tank, the best was 580.

I have a LWB T5 which does 37mpg on a run. I reckon the Arosa is free just on the fuel economy savings.

im only averaging 380-400 to a tank, but as im only spending around 82p a litre in fuel, actual real world cost is probably similar (a tank costs me around £28 vs around 43 at current diesel prices)

I have to be honest and say I do cheat. On my SDIs, I've deleted EGR, dumped the oil breather fumes to the road and gas flowed the inlet ducts (filled in the egr holes). Now I get a real resonance at about 2200 revs. It just sings at that speed, but to be super eco, I'd need to do about 60 on a long run. I don't have the patience. Ideally a longer gearing in fifth.

7 hours ago, Stephenmacleod said:

im only averaging 380-400 to a tank, but as im only spending around 82p a litre in fuel, actual real world cost is probably similar (a tank costs me around £28 vs around 43 at current diesel prices)

running on red?

9 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

running on red?

SVO... not good for micro hole nozzle injectors (but ok for old skool spray types though). Boiling acidic glyerols festering inside the pump and injectors every time you park. Eurgh. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

SVO... not good for micro hole nozzle injectors (but ok for old skool spray types though). Boiling acidic glyerols festering inside the pump and injectors every time you park. Eurgh. 

In regards to purging, what do you recommend? I'm not doing galactic miles, only around 15k per annum and it's a 2 year car for me, once the wedding is paid off and the house deposit saved and house bought I'll probably go for a newish 0 road tax or sub 30 road tax small car. I'm only planning 30-40k miles in this before I part with it.

Just I saw some Redex diesel cleaner and dont know if that would be sufficient.

im using an app to track my fuel economy for fun. to a tank i am getting 340 miles with an average spend of £32-£34 . i am getting real world figures of 58-61mpg. My commute is 18miles of twisty,hilly roads, and then 15miles of motorway sat at 65-70mph. so 35miles ish each way. 

forgot to add i have a 2004 Lupo SDI , 147k miles, standard car with an engine light on :)

Edited by Sarahs Lupo
  • Like 1