GTI 6 speed drive shaft bolt clearance

imaparana

An odd one but does anyone have any pictures or could take some of the space between the passenger side drift shaft flange and the gearbox.

After an off in a rally the bolts on one side of the box started rubbing on the casing, spacers were added behind the bolts to provide clearance until the end of the event. 

A new flange has now gone in and the is still only 2mm max. between the end of the bolts and the casing. The gearbox otherwise operates fine and am in two minds whether to pull the box apart and have a look, with an event at the end of next month itd be nice to put this issue to bed.

Cheers in advance

Is the bolt in the centre of the flange, that holds the diff together still tight? Something doesn't sound right. Personally, I'd pull it. You gotta check the flange bolts anyway, so they need to come out. Then just the other side, clutch and gear linkages, engine bolts and out. Worth it for peace of mind, as new boxes are beginning to get hard to find. Cheaper to fix/refurb a good box... :)

Just thought- does your diff have that 'limited slip' friction sleeve thing in? You know, the little cone shaped brass ring thing that sits on one of the output shafts, pushed by a compressed spring. If it does, it may have broken and dropped out? I've always thought that they're a waste of time. High powered cornering and all that...

Edited by mk2

Thanks all for the replies. That last pic is exactly what i was after thanks alot!

It appears that my bolts stick through the flange alot more than yours hence the rubbing. i think the driveshaft bolts must have stretched through use. ive got a set on order which will hopefully not stick out as far, ill check the lengths against the ones in there at the moment and let you guys know.

For now there is no rubbing, and that photo shows the same distance between the flange and gearbox so pretty happy that the gearbox is okay

1 hour ago, LR5V said:

No worries fella - my bolts were new from VW - could you have been given longer bolts by accident?

i havnt replaced these before, just been on and off a fair few times now. I guess the previous owner could have had longer ones, will keep this updated