GTi remote key

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, mk2 said:

Ooo er. That is progress! 👍🏻

Joe, what version of CCM or security do you have? And what year- System 2 or 3 do you think?

It's a 53 reg. Imo it's immo 3.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, Skezza said:

So I've been able to pair a remote tonight. That's progress. The chip still remains a task.

Can you tell me how you paired the remote fob and which fob I need to purchase?

Edited by James_VW

17 minutes ago, James_VW said:

Can you tell me how you paired the remote fob and which fob I need to purchase?

You need the same remote as yours, and that's where it's tricky because there are 315mhz, 433mhz ones and 432mhz ones :)

However they are used on multiple cars. I got mine from a Skoda Fabia for 8 quid.

Ok, could do with finding a remote, any tips to figure this out?

I have rang VW today and quoted £60 to pair a remote (surprised at that price) but was unable to get me price on a remote fob at this moment in time.

10 hours ago, James_VW said:

Ok, could do with finding a remote, any tips to figure this out?

I have rang VW today and quoted £60 to pair a remote (surprised at that price) but was unable to get me price on a remote fob at this moment in time.

You don't have one currently? Buy all three second hand. One will work. Sell the rest.

7 hours ago, Skezza said:

You don't have one currently? Buy all three second hand. One will work. Sell the rest.

No, literally like a solid key (like what you get with standard Lupo). I also rang a local garage who are renowned who can supply, cut and program for £80. 

I do have a full ECU lock kit from another Lupo GTi but after finding where the CCM unit is located (right at the top above the fuse box!) I'll try to get one paired.

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Don't buy, wait till scrappies are open and go on a key/pocket spree.

As above, hopefully they can sort it for £80, at that price not worth the messing about.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm very close to having cracked this.

Only thing stopping me is my own idiocy. I lost my spare gti key with cut blade but no transponder in my garage and can't find it now. I've ordered a new one that's just arrived. Transponder chip installed (id44, not convinced id48 will work). Just need it cutting now.

And guess what......?

I’m another with only one key 🙄  I’ll shelve that problem for now as I’ve already got  too much to do on it...

10 hours ago, tigcraft said:

And guess what......?

I’m another with only one key 🙄  I’ll shelve that problem for now as I’ve already got  too much to do on it...

Gti? It's doable. When I get this key cut, I'll hopefully prove it. 

13 hours ago, Skezza said:

Gti? It's doable. When I get this key cut, I'll hopefully prove it. 

No! Arosa Tdi. Does that mean it’s different in the key department? 

16 minutes ago, tigcraft said:

No! Arosa Tdi. Does that mean it’s different in the key department? 

Arosa TDI? I reckon I could do that through your Obd2 fairly easily. At least from what I know about the various components involved. 

The GTI is different. Different beast altogether.

Ok that’ll go on the ‘to do’ list when I get straight with my current jobs. Thank you for the interest on that one. I’ll take you up on that. Eric 

An update:

I'm not quite there yet. I firstly purchased 2 flip keys from Aliexpress. These are supposedly 'improved aftermarket replacements'. Turns out, neither remote control seem willing to pair with the Lupo remote system currently. Which is really frustrating, as you can imagine :) The OEM replacement I bought, which was for a Skoda. Paired instantly. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong though? Been a while since I actually did the key pairing process.

As for the transponder coding for the GTI. So, I purchased a blank transponder from China. It's having absolutely none of it. Best guess at the moment is that the transponder needs to be pre-programmed for VAG cars. This isn't something I've encountered with Audi's and those little rice grain chips which work first time every time. However, if you google ID44, sellers are selling ones that are pre-programmed to take a VAG key.

Good news, in doing this process, I've wiped the key which was out there in the world that i didn't own ;)  I'm getting closer.

10 hours ago, mk2 said:

A momentous occasion that cannot be just brushed aside... Well done you! Legend.

Do you still need my ROM dumps?

Yes please mate. 

You got them from OBD2 didn't you? Plan is to prove that all but the GTI can get SKC from there

Haven't extracted them yet... But yeah, via obd. I use chinese software! I have loads of different bits of vdub software. I just never use it, as I know the problems before even plugging in. The sad geeky nerd that I am.

The only thing that has me beat so far- you sir, have cracked. Immense respect.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Haven't extracted them yet... But yeah, via obd. I use chinese software! I have loads of different bits of vdub software. I just never use it, as I know the problems before even plugging in. The sad geeky nerd that I am.

The only thing that has me beat so far- you sir, have cracked. Immense respect.

I'd be lying if I said it was anything but frustrating though. I swear owning a Lupo is all about challenges and the scale of failure... which we either fail catastrophically or only slightly. 

We only tend to post about our wins. I have two aftermarket remote keys. Neither syncs up to the car, despite the fact they should.

I ordered a China key blade for my second OEM fob which never really fit right but was at least passable. I lost that in my bloody garage... My fault Then I spotted this on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-blade-head-uncut-HAA-for-Seat-2-button-remote-fob-Ibiza-Leon-Toledo-HU66-/332464250717?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Surely that would fit? The seller looks fairly legit... No. Not even close. Had it cut by my local locksmith but it wouldn't close tightly on the fob. So I've had to modify it to make it fit and it's not perfect at all. I suspect OEM replacements are not available anymore.

So I've got my GTI original key. I've got a spare which is fine and works but annoyingly imperfect. 

The only route I have left is looking for a 1J0 flip key. Supposedly you can sync them up with a Lupo. More money though. Most other cars you can just buy a replacement key + remote fob for about 15 quid. Uhh.

So... believe it or not, I'm browsing around eBay the other day and I spot this and add it to my watch list:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265078145430 (HL0 1J0 959 753 AG)

I'm loathed to spend more money on this key situation though.... and then out of the blue, the seller sends me through an offer. Several pounds off, with free delivery. I couldn't help it. 434Mhz (you can see in the photo) which is the same frequency as mine. Figured it would be my last go and this was it, absolutely as far as I'm willing to go with the merry go round.

Key arrives... go outside this morning.... first attempt at syncing?..... nailed it.... syncs up perfectly. Absolute result!!!!

I've transplanted the guts out of it, as it was tatty and had no loop for a key ring, into the case off the aftermarket one with the cut blade (got a refund of £7 for that btw, which more than covered this one) and I've put the transponder from my OEM key with ill-fitting blade into it and boom. I now have two keys I'm happy with. The original OEM GTI Key, a very clean looking aftermarket/OEM flip key, an OEM remote + ill-fitting key blade.... and just to seemingly rub it in, I found that bloody blade I lost in the garage. Suppose that can be my spare spare spare in case I ever lose three.

Tempted to order another transponder, although with your PIN code, it's really not important to have unnecessary number of keys. Just the blade itself for the ignition.

But yes, for the record, if you are chasing a second hand Lupo OEM remote key which are a nightmarish thing to get blades for. Save yourself the bother and get yourself a second hand OEM 1J0 flip key with the matching frequency. Replacement blank blades are absolute pennies to buy and they sync up fine. Can also get an aftermarket replacement case for them very easily, so you've not got 15 years of pocket sweat and grime and worn buttons. Transplanting the guts took me about 5 mins with a set of snips as the OEM circuit board is held in by these little plastic nibs.

There are also aftermarket 1J0 keys like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192876640771?hash=item2ce857fa03:g:plkAAOSwBrBbdqcT

Can't say for sure whether they'd work or not though. You would think so right? But I tried two aftermarket flip keys that were replacements for the original GTI key and neither of them worked. They just refused to sync up. Perhaps the 1J0 keys are more reliable though?

I quite fancy covering the little empty badge area with this, seeing as it's just a screw currently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174756775059?hash=item28b050c493:g:EdMAAOSw7sRgJaGe

But £5.... might just get the standard VW badge. They're like 99p :D 

But yeah, feeling rather positive today after this :)