GTi remote key

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be interested to know how much... i need one too (metal key, id chip and radio transmitter all in one unit). Then you have the hassle of pairing the damn thing so it only works with your car. Last price I had, all done, was about £360 incl Vat.

I had trouble when I bought a Gti with only one key (remote). After several attempts, I got a spare (with transponder but non-remote) but only through a VW Dealer - cost £133.

One thing to bear in mind is that if your car is - like mine - an import from Japan, a different radio wavelength is used and I believe that as a result no remote fobs still available in Europe will work with the car.

Good luck!

I wrote about this before - I was at a the Volkfling VW show in 2018, there was a mobile locksmith, offering cloned keys made while u wait

asked about getting a spare made, he scanned it and said it would be £180 and would need to read the code off the immobiliser- this would require removal. He would have helped get me on the road, if I had lost my key, but as I was still mobile he said - just be very careful with the current key and best to go to dealer.

Yeah, there are three things to a key- the mechanical cutting (easy), the pairing of a new transponder chip that works with the sensor pickup around the lock barrel (hard, but @Skezza knows how to do it with VAG tacho) and the pairing of the new radio transmitter in the key fob (only Vdub can do this as far as I know). 

The quick and easy way round the transponder is by removing it (the rice grain sized chip) from inside your working key and gluing it to the lock ring sensor. Then all you need is the mechanical key cut part, which will always work, because the car thinks it has the Vdub supplied key in the lock. But you will no longer have the immobiliser function.

I dunno any way around the remote radio part other than main dealer.

There’s someone on eBay who will cut your key from a picture - so the mechanical part is very easy.

Personally, I wouldn’t even go near the transponder chip, they are glass, tend to be very well glued in and it seems their second function in life is breaking at the slightest disturbance. Easier to clone the current transponder code onto a new chip -or don’t bother, tape the Old key to the reading ring for near immobiliser defeat!

I wonder if the OP could use a Mk4 key for the alarm? -seen some threads on here with this done, but they may be 1.8t conversions

Edited by LR5V

I just had a mad idea... i wonder if a used remote from another vdub could be used- get the key bit cut, then all you'd need is vdub to pair it, which I'd guess would only cost maybe £50? Do what you said with the transponder chip.

Thanks for replies. 

All I need to do is get the remote fob paired with the car. I do have a spare 6n2 GTi fob which could be used? I'm guessing they are similar? It's just the process of pairing them?

Would this work to code them?

My other option is that I believe I do have a spare GTi ECU and immobiliser that has 2 keys. 

So I would just have to swap the ECU and immobiliser. Keep the existing key and barrels then swap the existing cut key into the new fobs.

Yeah, but how do you pair it on a Lupo? Other vdubs are a well documented procedure. I know that a few Germans have figured out how to do the chip and wireless pairing, but they won't elaborate on their methods. Unless it's all BS.... I have tried and failed. Other dubs no problem.

https://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/72464-key-fob-not-working/

To pair you should just need to follow the guide halfway down in that thread, although it does rely on you having two otherwise-functional keys. Worked for me on my old GTI where the owner had buggered the lock button, I bought a used, Skoda badged but identical looking fob for the princely sum of £1.20 on eBay and swapped the chip and key bit over, took 5 mins tops. 

22 hours ago, mk2 said:

That'd be awesome. How to pair the ID44/ID48 chip and how to pair the wireless entry. Two of my Lupos still only have one key... 

Which? I've been doing truck loads of research lately.

• 1 month later...