Pedal box can it be serviced or just replaced

21 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Yes, can be welded (properly). I have a pic somewhere of where it breaks. 

Symptoms I'm having started today. Previously gear changes were notchy at times  but associated that with oil more than anything for the box. But coming home from Leeds today the clutch pedals lower than the brake pedal, it's not fully engaging when I put my foot to the floor (car still rolling when clutch fully dipped) so I'm guessing the fact that it is an absolute b*stard of a job to get it into gear is down to the fact that the clutch isnt dipping. Suggestions so far have been slave cylinder, clutch hydraulic fluid or pedal box. Will try to check the fluid reservoir to see if its empty. Anything else I'm missing that it could be?

100% pedal box. Especially if difficult to select 1st when running, stationary and cold.  Every time you shift without fully disengaging the clutch, you damage the syncros... you need to sort it asap or you'll lunch the box too. Once sorted, flush, then renew the gearbox oil. Loads of crud will come out.

SDI has a cable clutch. It works or snaps.

Edited by mk2

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

100% pedal box. Especially if difficult to select 1st when running, stationary and cold.  Every time you shift without fully disengaging the clutch, you damage the syncros... you need to sort it asap or you'll lunch the box too. Once sorted, flush, then renew the gearbox oil. Loads of crud will come out.

SDI has a cable clutch. It works or snaps.

Also, is there a decent how to for pedal box removal? May try and tackle it tomorrow.

Update: 

Pedal box had an old repair that had a metal plate of some description in place - it was knackered, so cut that out and replaced the plate and also did the mod mentioned above. 

Sure, it's not the ideal solution and a bit of a budge but if the car stays with me long term (looking at using it for deliveries for a bit of extra cash) then I'll probably replace/weld the pedal box properly. Temp fix for now.

Cheers