SDI Excessive Vibration - H e e e e l l l l p p p p !!!!

Gary7

Lupo SDi 1.7 AKN engine code.  Can You Help?

My Lupo suffers from excessive vibration, its not the normal vibration, but more, hopefully someone has had a similar experience and solved it?  This is the second SDI Lupo I have owned, in comparison, the previous one ran like a 'Swiss watch' until the engine management gave up.

The L & R engine mount appear fine, I recently changed the rear gearbox mount (dogbone) while underneath replacing the center & rear silencers.  The front small 'knuckle joint was completely shot, but the larger rear rubber mounting was ok, I hope this would solve the problem, not such luck, it is now much worse!  At tick over (950rpm) is unbearable, 20mph plus better, but the mind-numbimng vibration comes back around 60-65mph, over 73mph its fine.  Tricky to drive anywhere like this!  I initially beleived the problem may be clutch related, as the previous owner made a number of 'schoolboy' reassembly errors, not doing mount bolts up properly etc, however there are no other clutch related symptoms whatsoever.

Please share any ideas you may have about the cause would be fantastic.

Gary7

If engine related, then just about the only thing it can be is the EGR valve. To test it, pull off the vacuum hose to the EGR valve and choke flap. Then the car will run on clean fresh air...

If motion related, could be anything- clutch, drive shaft, wheel bearing, wheel?

Take it for a decent motorway drive to see if it clears, which kinda proves EGR gunge.

Welcome to CL :)

On 11/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, Gary7 said:

Lupo SDi 1.7 AKN engine code.  Can You Help?

My Lupo suffers from excessive vibration, its not the normal vibration, but more, hopefully someone has had a similar experience and solved it?  This is the second SDI Lupo I have owned, in comparison, the previous one ran like a 'Swiss watch' until the engine management gave up.

The L & R engine mount appear fine, I recently changed the rear gearbox mount (dogbone) while underneath replacing the center & rear silencers.  The front small 'knuckle joint was completely shot, but the larger rear rubber mounting was ok, I hope this would solve the problem, not such luck, it is now much worse!  At tick over (950rpm) is unbearable, 20mph plus better, but the mind-numbimng vibration comes back around 60-65mph, over 73mph its fine.  Tricky to drive anywhere like this!  I initially beleived the problem may be clutch related, as the previous owner made a number of 'schoolboy' reassembly errors, not doing mount bolts up properly etc, however there are no other clutch related symptoms whatsoever.

Please share any ideas you may have about the cause would be fantastic.

Gary7

welcome Gary.

Fellow SDI owner here! 

I had engine issues but were all the time regardless of speed or RPM. mine was a faulty ECU but yours sounds intermittent however, the previous owner of my car said it came and went until finally giving up being lumpy/loud all the time. 

Have you stuck a code reader on it? VCDS or a cheap code reader app on your phone? thats a good place to start. 

• 1 month later...

The problem is not intermittent, it only occurs at tick-over up to about 1400RPM.  I confused this problem with an exhaust issue in my original post.

Code Reader

I have got someone to put a Foxwell NT680 Pro ALL Systems Scan Tool, but it returned nothing. 

EGR Valve,

Tricky to remove (stupid mounting stud) but it was relatively clear, no real build up of any kind, I gave the valve a clean-up anyway using carb cleaner, put straight back on no change.

Injector pump, 'out of sync by a tooth'

Suggested by a colleague,  I am tempted to change the belt and check this at the same time.   Could this have occurred the last time it was changed?

Any Other Ideas?

Its driving me mad...

Gary7

If the cam to crank is out, it'd be game over. Might be injector pump pulley? Remive the plastic cover and at TDC check to see if the holes line up.

Within diagnostics, look at the PWM power needed for the pump timing injector advance system. If not somewhere around 70% at idle, that'll tell you that the pump timing is out (especially if 0 or 100%). 

Also check the injection quantity on each injector squirt at idle. Should be about the smae. If one is out (blocked) the others will be compensating to keep it as smooth as it can be.

Just had a thought- if the injector pump is out, it knocks if too advanced or wont start easily if too retarded.

• 2 months later...

If the engine itself is idling and running normally (look in vcds for idle speed etc) then look for things knocking on the subframe, like exhaust, power steering pipes, loose / worn gearbox mount, heatshield, gear change cables etc.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Skezza said:

Probably not going fix this.

Try this.... Regardless. It costs nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so tried this suggested procedure and its made a little difference so thank you for this skezza and everyone else for chipping in. But deep down I know this isn't a proper fix as the car was smoother, a lot smoother when I first had it. So there must be something causing this. I am looking at the injectors, just to see if there is carbon buildup in the nozzles and thats what causing the excessive vibrations? Someone did suggest dogbone, is that a possibility? will update as this mystery unfolds. 😂

• 2 months later...