CJ1's GTI Project

cj1

I missed this, sad to hear ongoing issues - I would recommend my guy who rebuilt the box, lightened the flywheel and got me a cheap Quaif -

Mart at Gas'n'gears on facebook, he's at Cornelly just over the bridge in South Wales, if its too far  - box or pallet it up

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the somewhat delayed response to this. 

The car had a weird vibrating feeling when accelerating under load, bottom of 4th, 5th, etc. It wasn't shaking the car but just didn't feel right at all through the pedal and steering wheel. Had the car up in the air and the wheels didn't spin entirely freely, they seemed to hit a spot of resistance on each rotation. My fears were that the diff was shot and I didn't want to drive it anymore. 

Pleased to say I got another 6 speed box and put that in, which has solved the problem for now. 

@LR5V Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not 100% sure I'd want to lighten the flywheel on the road car, but my plan is now to put a quaife in the old gearbox and have it fully rebuilt, so your recommendation is really useful. I'll be sending them a message.. Funnily enough I'm going to somewhere in the Brecon beacons in a month or twos time so what's an extra hour to drop the gearbox off! :)

• 4 months later...

Update since Feb. Fixed another set of small yet annoying issues.

• Steering Column was loose and make a bit of a "clunking" feeling when turning, turns out this was the column not being held tightly by the bolt that holds it to the chassis. Tightened this and all is well. 
  • Door check strap replaced
  • Rear brakes stripped and rebuilt to stop them binding. 
  • All heater controls now working properly as they should.
  • Full service
  • Cambelt & Water pump change. 

Finally ordered some new wheels after deciding a refurb of the Bathursts wasn't worth it given the condition they were in. They should be here this week. The car is having a full respray next week to sort out all of the scratches and dents over the car, hopefully after then it should be pretty much perfect. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Anything left to rebuild?

seems like you have done everything

Nothing at all! All the little issues the car had have now been solved... So once it's painted can finally enjoy it without being annoyed by something not being quite right! :):)

• Like 1

Car back and the team dynamics on. I think this will be the further from OEM I’ll make the car look. Think it’s a nice change and the grey looks good against the black! 

83AB3531-097B-4CF7-80DE-4363B095DF40.jpeg

92C31F95-E927-4AA1-A6F7-1979416A2805.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cj1 said:

Car back and the team dynamics on. I think this will be the further from OEM I’ll make the car look. Think it’s a nice change and the grey looks good against the black! 

83AB3531-097B-4CF7-80DE-4363B095DF40.jpeg

92C31F95-E927-4AA1-A6F7-1979416A2805.jpeg

looks epic, a great wheel for the gti!

1 hour ago, LR5V said:

Looking good - any plans to reduce the tyre to arch height? 

Did you get your diff installed in the old box?

I wondered how long until someone noticed it...

Yeah eventually I'll be lowering ever so slightly (30mm probably max) - there is quite a big gap. probably not aided by the 195/45/15 tyres... 

Not yet, still got the box sat here waiting to get it down there :)

51 minutes ago, Blue Loop said:

That's come a long way!

As @LR5V said, it does need a little bit of lowering :)

Will get some springs or something ordered this week.. It's going to bug me too much to put off for much longer... 

• Like 1