Hi From Japan

axe

On 11/2/2019 at 3:22 AM, mk2 said:

How many k has it done? Could just be worn bearings or needs a decoke.

150,000.KLM  ish on it at the moment. I'll give it a decoke and see how it goes.
took it for a long run today and it didn't ping at all. Was pretty chilly today though.
Being around Tokyo and stuck in traffic half it's life would more than likely point to a carbon build up though, I think you're right! 
Cheers!

Edited by axe

I kept my Mk 2 GTI for 15 years, it was an early car 1984, but even when I scrapped it, the rear door was still oozing waxoyl. Much modified, it ended up with a 16v engine, 16v brakes and a fully polybushed chassis, compared to the MK 1 Golf these cars are a revelation.  

On 11/8/2019 at 2:09 AM, weslangdon said:

I kept my Mk 2 GTI for 15 years, it was an early car 1984, but even when I scrapped it, the rear door was still oozing waxoyl. Much modified, it ended up with a 16v engine, 16v brakes and a fully polybushed chassis, compared to the MK 1 Golf these cars are a revelation.  

Nice! Yeah I had My Mk2 for around 13 years. It was imported to Aus early in it's life (89 i think) was an 87 model. 
I thought i would keep it forever! but after i moved ,  the cost to get it legal on the road here in japan was stupid.  *around 6,000 GBP for all the paper work and tax after it was landed here*

Mk2's here are way over priced, so the lupo gti was the best choice i think. Needs alot of TLC , but she was cheap *around 800 GBP*  
Lupo has a dent in the right rear quarter, but nothing major, H&R coil overs, 170,000 KLM (Japanese freak out if something is over 100,000 kl , lol )

Everything else is fine now (Italian tune up fixed the pinging for now )
Other than a very odd brace someone has put over one of the plug leads. 
I havn't investigated yet, I'm just hoping it isn't some D**& Head has stripped a thread and decided to brace the plug in there! that's the only reason i can think of for such a , um... brace.  lol 
Will take it off and investigate over the winter

rere.jpg

59 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Odd... might be just to hold the no4 plug cap in place???

Yeah Mate!, I'm thinking it's been cross threaded or slogged out, LOL. I don't want to un wrap it just yet haha. 
But that's the only reason I can think of for that set up!  If it was just a lead issue, i recon it would be easier to just replace, than that . I'll make a new post when i get into it! :P Cheers, Benny. 

Edited by axe

Cool story's fella - 150k Km's is only 100k in miles - so its not even run in.

Always wondered what Japanese developed aftermarket stuff was available for the Lupo Gti

The plug strap looks interesting - the rubber skirt can produce a very air tight seal, your theory of cross threaded plug letting gas past may sadly be correct

I hate to say it, but if it is a stripped plug thread, only option is head off and helicoil it... I absolutely hate bodges on any of my cars like this one, but given that the work involved just to fix the thread is so huge, I'd leave it alone and hope it isn't leaking gases. Pretend that it's meant to be like that! I've never had to helicoil a plug thread. They are very fine and I'm not sure if a helicoil kit even exists for such a fine thread.

People (who don't already know), plugs only need to be a bit tighter than finger tight!

@axe just had a crazy idea to check if it is leaking... when the engine is stone cold, get someone to sit in the driver's seat and start the engine, while you're drizzling washing up detergent water over the cap. Bubbles mean a leak... You might get a temporary misfire if the water shorts out the HT, but as soon as it's warmed up again it'll dry and be fine :) If it is leaking, it's simply a question of how long can you handle it- a bit like a leaky head gasket. No fun WOT driving....

• Like 1

Spark plug Helicoils can be done in-situ, but the risk is not getting all the swarf out of the cylinder, at least the AVY block is vertical - grease on the tap catches much of the metal & spin the engine over with starter without plugs blows more out - but you cant be 100% sure its clear.

Completely agree. Is it worth the risk of damaging an internal part, just from a single piece of swarf? I guess if there was a way to catch every little piece, then that wouldn't be a big job (to only helicoil it). Vacuum cleaner with some tube?

yeah! all good, it's not leaking.
Done a few helicoils over the years (ex mechanic) fixing "back yarder" DIYs, plenty of grease on the tap,  a real good blow job, and a wind over without plugs in any of the cyls.

Biggest issue where i'm living at the mo, the usual Jap apartment where you have to park your car miles away in a privately owned parking area, so the main option for fixing is midnight in a supermarket car park, LOL. (take for granted having a shed/drive way in Australia) 
But have rented some space in a workshop with a lift for this friday. 
Have helicoils (if it needs)
Strut top bearings ( got the bang bang on the bump action)
Front ball joints
and a new timing belt/w/p  kit, doesnt need just yet, but i'll see how much time I can get on the lift. 

A caucasion chap working on a car, in a supermarket car park, at night in Japan would certainly generate some interest... :) I'd like to watch the web cam during my afternoon tea break (time zones).

If you can speak Jap, I'm sure a bunch of other local curious petrolheads will turn up and you'll have someone offer you use of a workshop. Especially if you're there regularly. Japs are seriously into their motors (just like Aussies, Brits and Yanks).

13 hours ago, mk2 said:

A caucasion chap working on a car, in a supermarket car park, at night in Japan would certainly generate some interest... :) I'd like to watch the web cam during my afternoon tea break (time zones).

If you can speak Jap, I'm sure a bunch of other local curious petrolheads will turn up and you'll have someone offer you use of a workshop. Especially if you're there regularly. Japs are seriously into their motors (just like Aussies, Brits and Yanks).

haha!, yeah! It's fairly common around tokyo. saitama. not alot of people have parking where they live, and the parking spots they have a are pretty tight. 
So a supermarket carpark oil change at 2am is fairly common in the burbs haha :P  
I'm thinking of making a YT channel with some driving and meet ups. I'm usually riding shotgun with beer in my friends 350Z.  More fun behind the wheel of a VW (minus the beer) lol 

• 1 month later...

What was the out come here? Just curious...

I have a '92 2 door Jetta here, love it! Way better car than all the newer ones we have had and still have. It's still pretty good on the outside but crawl underneath an look up - ooo - plenty of swelled seams! Mother nature is taking her down, dirty rotten shame that! It's the one with the flames and boot spoiler behind the Forester. The other one behind it is a '89 parts car, also a 2 door.

IMG_0536.JPG.667b055962c64e396fad20c40278efea.JPG '92

Edited by oprn