Hi From Japan

axe

Hey Peoples. I'm Benny. 
I'm an Aussie in Saitama Japan.
Had a mk2 Golf GTI (UK Import) for a long time, In Australia before moving to Japan.
Now Just picked up an 03 Lupo GTI.  She needs a bit of TLC though!
Cheers!, Benny 

aaa111.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

1 hour ago, Stephenmacleod said:

whats jap life like? always dreamed of living in Japan or China.

Sweet ride btw (Y)

Cheers Mate,  Quite good over here. Been here for 8 years and love it. Other than the quakes and typhoons! lol 
It's a bit like living on another plannet for the first couple of years :P

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think I remember your export thread from edition.

It's going global.

Ah! the old Oz Edition Forum?

2 minutes ago, Sarahs Lupo said:

is living in japan everything like the "The fast and furious, Tokyo Drift". If it is.. im packing my bags :P

LOL, Not really! A lot of good JDM meets and people going down near the docks drifting. But nothing like Tokyo Drift :P 
Great car scene but Police are cracking down a bit more now though, with the Oylimics comming up :( 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rich said:

There was a guy who exported his to Oz.

That was my mate Jason... (G60JAY) in QLD to be precise. 4WD flavour, with a hint of Rallye. Over here again now down in Surrey.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

No the English one.

There was a guy who exported his to Oz.

Lots of effort for three doors.

Although I like the South African built ones.

Ah No, Not me. :P 
My Mk2 has been in Aus since 1989. First in Sydney when the UK owner moved to Aus n bought the car over. (as far as i know one of the first Mk 2 GTI 2 door in aus...possibly)
It then went to Tasmania and was a tarmac rally car for a while. I got it in around 2004.
When I initially moved to Japan in 2011 i was planning on bringing it here eventually, so it was n storage for a few years.
But recently had to sell, and it's gone back to Sydney.
Was nothing over the top, still a 8v K-Jet, but a warm 2E 2 litre. 

10599115_10152570800411558_7058442338527900005_n.jpg

17911056_446969002308601_550359777_n.jpg

9 hours ago, Y2ACP said:

What do you think of the lupo compared to the golf?

Dynamically they feel a lot the same. Lupo  feels  a little more nimble though.
I think overall I prefer the old Mk2 Golfs though. Sounds a bit cliche, but the Mk2 Golfs have a bit more soul :P 
Still love the Lupo thou! Only had her for 4 week so far.

I'm biased. Mk2 is IMO the best car ever made. Sure there are lots of compromises, but taking everything into account it wins. Noisy. Yes. Uncomfortable. Yes. Economical. No. Simple. Yes. Reliable. Kind of. Fun. Sort of. Easy to maintain and repair. Yes. Well made. Absolutely. Do they last. Yes. 30 years old now and neglected cars that occasionally pop up on ebay are still running (just). You can't say that for just about any other car. 👍🏻

I have more than one Lupo however.... :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I'm biased. Mk2 is IMO the best car ever made. Sure there are lots of compromises, but taking everything into account it wins. Noisy. Yes. Uncomfortable. Yes. Economical. No. Simple. Yes. Reliable. Kind of. Fun. Sort of. Easy to maintain and repair. Yes. Well made. Absolutely. Do they last. Yes. 30 years old now and neglected cars that occasionally pop up on ebay are still running (just). You can't say that for just about any other car. 👍🏻

I have more than one Lupo however.... :)

yeah 100% agree!  Japan is a bit like Aus with the 2 doors. VW Japan only had the 4 door GTI  , but Yanase Japan also had rights to sell VWs, so the majority of mk2 gti 2 doors here are LHD direct imports.
Quite a few in RHD, but not many. Japan did get the CLI mk2 2 door in RHD though, so alot are Fake GTIs.
and they all want silly money for them over here!

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question maybe, so i thought i'd post here. Had a search without much luck.
Suddenly I'm getting pinging from low in the revs when i put my boot into it, even under not alot of load in 2nd on flat roads (very slightly, but a fair bit on hills in 3rd well within it's capable range)
Running 98 oct always, and data outputs are giving me 3-5 deg advance at idle, and around 15-16 deg advance when flooring it.
No codes, no issues when just driving normally. *** also new plugs, all the usual culprits check out... very odd. 

Edited by axe

1 hour ago, Blue Loop said:

Welcome :)

Check the connections between the spark plug cables and the coil-pack.

Mine had a bit of corrosion there and made the car judder even with new plugs.

Cheers Mate! I'll have a look! :D

On 11/3/2019 at 11:09 PM, weslangdon said:

2 litre in a MK2 Golf with K-jet is unusual, factory they were 1781cc 8V & 16v 

Correct, Had a mk3 2.0 swap. 

IMG_0288.jpg

Edited by axe
  • Like 1