New SDi owner

Stephenmacleod

Probably going to be asking a few questions on here with the odds and sods ill need to maintain this wee runabout, so heres a pic, 300miles later after picking it up. Its a hoot to drive and runs on thin air. got it for a bargain price too I feel, and she loves veg oil already.

Im Stephen from Cumbria.

PS I've already removed the poxy wrap from the headlights, was lethal driving at night. Dewiper'd and thats it so far.

Thanks,

lupo.thumb.jpg.195fe984f70f4eec4b975adfb9cf2a0e.jpg

i sense an owner that will look after this one...

don't use SVO in it though. It has the new style injectors which really really don't like veggie oil. The teeny tiny holes clog with hardened glycerol, which forms inside the injectors after you switch off.

5 hours ago, mk2 said:

i sense an owner that will look after this one...

don't use SVO in it though. It has the new style injectors which really really don't like veggie oil. The teeny tiny holes clog with hardened glycerol, which forms inside the injectors after you switch off.

I'm running a 70/30 mix mostly, 20-25l of veg to 5-10l of diesel.  In the warmer months itll be more than that though I would imagine. Oil change twice a year and fuel filter and it should be fine. I have to say I've had zero issues thus far. Starts first turn of the key and runs great. 

I used to to think the same that by running SVO saves a bit of money. It doesn't in the long run as you'll be spending more money and time on diesel system parts. Older diesel injector systems with old style injectors can handle it better than the new electronic system in an SDI. The pump will also suffer because there are electronic components inside the injection pump that are immersed in the fuel. The fuel pump works with a servo motor, coil, magnet and hall sensor- some compoenents are made with copper and brass which don't like moisture (in glycerol). Make a small amount of your mix and bung it in a jam jar, then put that in the freezer- you'll see the stuff separate out. One thing you can add to your mix to make it better is 2-stroke oil. Add about 3% by volume. Also adding a bit of Kerosene (paraffin) also helps makes the burn a bit hotter, but counteracts the lubricating properties of the 2-stroke oil. 🙂

5 hours ago, mk2 said:

I used to to think the same that by running SVO saves a bit of money. It doesn't in the long run as you'll be spending more money and time on diesel system parts. Older diesel injector systems with old style injectors can handle it better than the new electronic system in an SDI. The pump will also suffer because there are electronic components inside the injection pump that are immersed in the fuel. The fuel pump works with a servo motor, coil, magnet and hall sensor- some compoenents are made with copper and brass which don't like moisture (in glycerol). Make a small amount of your mix and bung it in a jam jar, then put that in the freezer- you'll see the stuff separate out. One thing you can add to your mix to make it better is 2-stroke oil. Add about 3% by volume. Also adding a bit of Kerosene (paraffin) also helps makes the burn a bit hotter, but counteracts the lubricating properties of the 2-stroke oil. 🙂

At 57p a litre it's a lot cheaper. Plenty of folk seem to rave about old sdi being great on veg and a lot run it on svo. Not what I would do personally I'd always use a bit of diesel in as a mix or as a friend recommended some petrol (small amount)

EDIT: to note, im also using fresh oil, not recycled. got a deal on 100L from a supermarket.

Edited by Stephenmacleod

Don't add petrol as it drops the cetane rating massively... loses a lot of power. At the very least please bung in some 2-stroke oil :)

100L should move you about 1800 miles if it's all running right. Oh yeah, also block off the egr too as there's a fair bit more soot generated as it doesn't burn as hot (Or unplug the 2 vacuum hoses- and bung up the open suction ends).

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Don't add petrol as it drops the cetane rating massively... loses a lot of power. At the very least please bung in some 2-stroke oil :)

100L should move you about 1800 miles if it's all running right. Oh yeah, also block off the egr too as there's a fair bit more soot generated as it doesn't burn as hot (Or unplug the 2 vacuum hoses- and bung up the open suction ends).

So use some 2 stroke as well as diesel? How much we talking? Cant say I've ever used it tbf.

I average around 14-15 miles/litre, so expected around the 1400 mile mark for what I have, plus topping up with diesel.

Yeah, the superb lubrication properties of BP synthetic two stroke oil will compensate for the wear caused by the glycerols in SVO. About 2-3% or about a litre per brim full tank (assuming it can take 35L from full to empty). Get a 20L drum, as it works out at about £1.75 a litre then. Or you could run your engine on a blend of your choice and use diesel purge fluid instead of diesel, and add more SVO. More power too...

On 10/18/2019 at 6:38 PM, mk2 said:

Yeah, the superb lubrication properties of BP synthetic two stroke oil will compensate for the wear caused by the glycerols in SVO. About 2-3% or about a litre per brim full tank (assuming it can take 35L from full to empty). Get a 20L drum, as it works out at about £1.75 a litre then. Or you could run your engine on a blend of your choice and use diesel purge fluid instead of diesel, and add more SVO. More power too...

So should I use 1L of 2 stroke and a full tank of SVO (32L to 1L of 2 stroke) and use no diesel? And is that suitable during the colder months or is diesel still advised? Cheers

Yes. But I wouldn't use SVO alone. Ever. You need to lower the viscosity to avoid pump cavitation. That said, you'll still have some cavitation when there's glycerol in the mix. You could add kerosene to the SVO to lower the viscosity during cold weather. Every ten tanks run on pure high grade diesel.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Yes. But I wouldn't use SVO alone. Ever. You need to lower the viscosity to avoid pump cavitation. That said, you'll still have some cavitation when there's glycerol in the mix. You could add kerosene to the SVO to lower the viscosity during cold weather. Every ten tanks run on pure high grade diesel.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:38 PM, mk2 said:

any suggestions for where to get the 2 stroke from mate? in 20L quantities? 

• 4 weeks later...