LUPO 1.7SDI

Sarahs Lupo

Nice! I also do mine once a year and then get a valet guy to wet wash everything inside and detail it (for £45). The resukt really does look like a brand new interior. And that's after nearly 20 years. Trouble is you don't want to use it once it's that clean!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE TIME:

Another year , another MOT

In the end we got a PASS! 

Wahoo... 

It first failed on a front NS ball joint.

This perplexed me , since i replaced both front arms including ball joints around 1 year ago.. as documented in this thread!!

To hear one has failed pissed me off.. but he said it could be i hit a kurb... not likely.. or that the lowered suspension has put extra strain on them ?

Now im wondering if i need to adjust the cars ride height or was it just a **** cheapo part.. 

i know the " buy cheap buy twice"  

Will have to see how low this car is.. as im no low rider.. and use the car as a commuter as you know.. 

hmmmm i know its all fixed and stuff just makes me wonder.. 

• Like 1

OEM manufactured stuff like Febi, Quinton Hazel, FAI, delphi, meyle etc.

NOT comline, veco or stuff sold by ECP, acp, parts in motion etc. Chinese cr@p. Soft steel, resin, not nylon friction surfaces, no MS2 grease...

1 hour ago, C3peteo said:

I've just bought a pair of febi ones for 37 quid off ebay.

Yeah I had the left side fixed while at the Garage I use as I can’t have the car out of action anymore since I use it to commute on. 
let’s hope the right is fine for a bit 

9 minutes ago, C3peteo said:

It's a quick weekend driveway job if you have the tools, 13mm socket to do the ball joints and the 17mm for take the wheels off.

No doubt my friend. If you read through my previous pages. I have already replaced the whole arms once haha! 
the ball joints on the end are a piece of piss. But I don’t have time to mess about right now. 

• 4 months later...

UPDATE:

There is no update.

Car hasnt been used much in the last 2 months tbh - job change means permanent work from home, and i got a mazda mx5 for the weekend and a new bike so it has been relegated to the dog walks and general dirty jobs.

Only thing i can say is the passenger side lock doesnt like to come up , when unlocking from the driver door . but we can let that slide until the new year 

Still trucking on 165k on the clock last time i checked 

• 3 months later...

We are still here

Keeping this alive. Car has been faultless as normal. Dog duties and shopping etc. Took it up north again . as with all of us, feeling the pinch at the pumps.

in Jan 2020 i used to fill up the car with £27 of diesel at 109p - filled up last weekend £49!! - 185p .. still managed 350miles to the tank but thats still a sting

onwards and upwards! 

On 3/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, mk2 said:

The tank takes 35L (if you press the filler air release button), so that's only 45mpg...?🤷🏻‍♀️

by my calculation, the fuel cost with the litres i used and the mileage i got 59mpg so thats pretty good if you ask me 

On 3/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, mk2 said:

The tank takes 35L (if you press the filler air release button), so that's only 45mpg...?🤷🏻‍♀️

Whattsatt? That’s new to me. I can’t get any more than 31 litres in the tank and that’s up to the thread of the base of the  cap

There's a little button thing, just inside the filler. When you screw in the cap, the inner edge of the cap presses against it allowing air to circulate between the top of the tank and the filler. I've fitted a small length of rubber tube between the edge and the button thing, so it's permanently pressed. Means you can add about an extra 7 L of fuel...

Also easier to accurately measure MPG, as brimming it with the button up gives false fill readings. Brim it, then press. The fuel disappears! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sarahs Lupo said:

Yeah I’m sure this car has already been run on veg too. Working from home has shifted my focus somewhat but maybe one day. It’s still £1 a litre for nice oil from the supermarket which is 75p cheaper per litre at the time of writing this 

As long as you keep on top of oil and filter changes (personally I changed my oil and filters every 8k miles when running on clean veg) you shouldn't have any issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE TIME:

Another year another MOT! 

So initially poor Larry failed his MOT on a few silly things and emissions. This was suspected as i previously wrote in this thread about the exhaust manifold.

So a few new indicator bulbs later and a new exhaust from the engine back. We are back on the road again! 

Will be doing another oil change soon - just awaiting the new crush washer for the sump plug and we are away.

this weeks weather looks promising. Current mileage around 168k i think

Yeah, my green SDI passed on Saturday. But only just. The rear brake compensator had stuck, so on the brake tester, it indicated that the back brakes were faulty (like only half power- would not lock up). But on handbrake, they worked just fine and locked. The tester confidently said "yup, both your rear cylinders are shot. You need new ones. We can do it for you today...".

So I "humbly" suggested that it may actually just be a stiff compensator lever or stuck plunger. And that it'll be obvious when up on the ramp for the underside inspection. So once up in the air I had a look, asked if he had a hammer that I could borrow for a moment- gave the housing a thump, mentioning that may have sorted it. 

Once back down, he tested it again and all good. "In 30 years, never seen that before. Know a bit about cars then?". I just smiled and thanked him, through gritted teeth. So he was going to change both rear cylinders (wrong) and bill me for £175. Yeah. And the compensator would have probably reset anyway when bleeding everything. SMH.

Get a sump plug with built-in O ring. You'll never need a crush washer ever again...

Edited by mk2
  • Like 3