Harness mounting points

Jacamo97

Hi All!

Got a Lupo GTi and going to start sprinting with it, but not quite sure where we'll be mounting the harness. It'll be a 4 point harness, with a bucket seat replacing the drivers seat.

If we remove the rear seats, is there anywhere the harness can be mounted or will we need to fit a brace bar across the rear? Also, would anyone know where the best place to mount the remaining 2 points of the harness? Would you need to bolt them to the floor or can they be attached to the seat?

Any information regarding fitting a harness would be much appreciated! :)

Start with the technical regs of whatever association oversees the events you wan to do. I was into rallying so the MSA blue book is the place to start. Otherwise it's the FIA.

Here's the relevant MSA info: https://www.motorsportuk.org/assets/harnessguidance02.04.19.pdf

I've been in enough accidents to know that it wants to be right and the spec above is a minimum. You are priceless and need to go home when you've finished having fun. Cars are replaceable.

Are sprints not more run what you have brung?  either way you need to find out the regulations applicable to the event you wish to compete in

Lap belts - you will need to mount your seat into the car, OMP make a seat adaptor to mount seat rails on, they have openings on each side for the lap belts:

9GsKlQ.jpg

xbxzNe.jpg

If you are really serious, cut out you existing seat rails and weld in proper seat brackets.

Shoulder straps are the hard part to achieve a safe location for the angle of the belt, I do not recommend it but mine uses the rear seat belt mounting points, eyelet just screws in - I got my Gti with harnesses already installed, this is how the PO had his - not ideal clipping it to the seat bracket!:

image.png.c4ec6e3f101e0831f1c8a6e5184e1549.png

I have added an eyelet to the wheel well seat anchor point and now clipped the harness to that - I am not sure if this makes the belt steeper than 45 degrees maximum shown in Yeha's link. 

Or Look into a harness bar -  @CLAYTONJONES  he runs one and tracks his Gti a lot