Does a bluetooth thing exist that...

mk2

...can use the CD multichanger port on the standard cassette player unit (i can't remember the model name), so you can listen to music from your phone?

I already have a CD multichanger emulator that you can connect up any USB memory to (or 3.5mm jack plug analogue input), that allows you to scroll through tracks on a memory stick as if they were different CD tracks on different CDs. That works really well. But a bluetooth connection? Can't find one. Maybe it doesn't exist. 

Anyone?

There’s definitely cables that allow you to connect phones or MP3 players to CD changer ports, I have one that Blaupunkt made back in the day to connect pre-lightning charger iPhones or iPods to their CDC inputs, and you can still find aftermarket ones that do a similar job. Not sure though about Bluetooth modules. 

I may have found a device on Ebay Germany that allows you to use the old Beta cassette unit (I just remembered the model name), with all the built in advantages of standard OEM installs, with this new fangled thing that just plugs in, exactly like you describe. But the price is more than buying a used bluetooth head unit... so not sure it's worth it. My budget is about £20. But it does hide behind the dash and can connect automatically to any bluetooth phone, apparently. I'm waiting for some questions to be answered...

• 3 weeks later...

You can buy an adapter that plugs into the cd changer slot on the back of a beta/gamma headunit which gives you an auxiliary in. Think it’s about £5 on eBay. 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=254169305570&category=173710&pm=1&ds=0&t=1552966937000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Yeah I have one of them in my silver SDI, connected to the MCD head unit I fixed. It also has a USB port as well as an analogue in. But I thought that it'd be neat if I could get the same functionality without needing to plug in a memory stick or my phone directly into the headphone jack. The interface would be completely wireless, and even if I left it in my pocket, it'd work.

One of my Lupos has the Philips car audio system which I got on Ebay for almost nothing. It is an amazing system, complete with DAB. But it's the blue tooth function I use the most. 

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/CE153DR_05/carstudio-car-audio-system

So I thought it'd be good if I could replicate that functionality with the standard vdub Beta cassette player based unit, to keep the OEM look. A secret function in an old radio... :)