Can fitting one front spring cause bad squirming

Stua9

And quite scary especially on bad roads, I've always renewed discs ect in pairs but not shocks or springs don't know why but just haven't. But can a new spring working against and old one cause the above?

Yes it can and does like I say don't know why I fitted one and not the other as the handling is bollox I ordered another.

Edited by Stua9

If the spring is genuine and the right one (same rating and length), no problem. Trouble is that there are too many variations, so you may have fitted a different rating spring. Check the colour spots on the spring. They need to be the same as the other side. When you get another new one, it might be different again... 

Generally it's cheap brand chinese or indian made tyres that cause unusual handling. One of my Lupos had nearly new chinese things fitted and the car was almost undrivable. Swapped them for Michellins and OMG- it was like a different car.

Just thought of a way you can check the front springs- jack up the car on dead level smooth ground, with the jack placed in the centre of the rear beam (on a block of wood), or in the centre of strong plank between the left and right rear jacking points. If front tyres are the same, with same pressure, the distance between the centre to the wheel arch top should be about the same, within a few mm. I don't know the weight distribution in a lupo, but i'm pretty sure it is relatively well balanced. :)

Edited by mk2

Personally for me as a rule of thumb if im changing 1 i change them both but thats me. 

Recently i did pretty much a full overhall of all the steering and suspension componants as its all pretty cheap to do. its all pretty much less than 6 months old now. 

@mk2 I had that with my rear Springs the coloured dots, so opted for a set of Mapco ones.