Starting problems

con9t2

Hi

I've been having this issue for a while and after a long train of trial and error I've resorted to asking on here.. The car is an 8v 1.0 petrol - AUC engine.

Essentially the car won't start in the morning or after the engine has been off for more than 6/7 hours. Can't be the plugs as I've replaced the coil pack, leads and plugs - cleaned and gapped them too. I've patched up all the air leaks I could hear/find and replaced a lot of the hoses.

Something I have noticed is that on the first turn of the key, you can't hear the fuel pump regulating after 2 times it's done it. Is this normal or should it be doing this every time?

I've Blanked the egr (drilled a 4mm hole in the plate though to see if that would stop the light coming on) - not an issue as I can blank off with Bluetooth OBD reader.

I've narrowed it down to fuel, I've been reading online about the temp sensor and coolant sensor can be the cause of this but I'm not sure it is linked. I'm guessing it'll be the fuel pump which I'm yet to check - tomorrows job.

So I guess what I'm asking is if this sounds similar to anything you've experienced? and if so, how was it resolved?

Thanks!

Edited by con9t2

If you see sparks on the plugs, then ignition is just fine... get someone to crank while you're up front with the plugs out. Watch for sparks..

While there with plugs out, have a sniff and see if you can smell any fuel. if not, there's you're problem.

If the fuel pump isn't running, most likely to be the relay that powers the pump. Or fuel filter. or the pump itself. could be a loose wire though or fuse which will take some investigating.

2 minutes ago, mk2 said:

If you see sparks on the plugs, then ignition is just fine... get someone to crank while you're up front with the plugs out. Watch for sparks..

While there with plugs out, have a sniff and see if you can smell any fuel. if not, there's you're problem.

If the fuel pump isn't running, most likely to be the relay that powers the pump. Or fuel filter. or the pump itself. could be a loose wire though or fuse which will take some investigating.

Yeah I've taken tomorrow off work to look at it properly because it's doing my head in! My friend did mention about the relay which I just haven't got around to checking. Would it just be the case of cleaning and re-wiring or would it be essential to get new parts?

53 minutes ago, con9t2 said:

Yeah I've taken tomorrow off work to look at it properly because it's doing my head in! My friend did mention about the relay which I just haven't got around to checking. Would it just be the case of cleaning and re-wiring or would it be essential to get new parts?

I'd just swap it out to be sure. But easy enough to check. Just stick a light bulb on the power wires to the fuel pump under the seat. If it lights up, then relay is fine...

like @Rich says, if no sparks, then most likely the crank sensor. It's the engine's primary sensor that is used to reference just about everything.

• 2 weeks later...

So the ignition is all fine, spark plugs are good and emitting sparks like you said. I found a 'knack' which seems to be working, I just have to turn the key as slow as I can and the first instance it turns the engine over let go of the key and it starts. I got a new battery last week as the old one used to die if it was turned over too much, I don't think it's made much of a difference but needed a new one anyway

Definitely feeling like it's a fuel issue still, just because sometimes when I'm driving it will shudder slightly if driving at low speeds, gonna have to check out the fuel pump at some point

Edited by con9t2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After many weeks of waking up neighbours with trying to start my car I think I've finally found the issue, ordered a new fuel filter from Eurocarparts (Big up the 50% off) and fitted it. Not a problem this morning with the starting.

I also noticed the old filter on the car was backwards (arrows pointing towards end of the car) and doubt it was changed recently as the screw holding it in was basically welded in, managed to rip it open to see the damage too. Bit of WD40 and a bit of petrol down my sleeve later and the car is running way better.

Thanks for all your input!

Edited by con9t2