Clutch or pedal box??

Joe__

So, my 2002 lupo E is nearly dead, 100,000 miles on the clock and had nearly every part changed but its still giving me issues. I was going to get the clutch replaced today but decided to have a google around and found out about a common pedal box problem, my clutch is really heavy, makes a very loud squeaking noise as i push it down and struggles to go into 1st and 2nd gear and the biting point is really high, I've looked through all the history and cant see anything about the pedal box being replaced so I'm at a loose end, does this sound like a pedal box issue or a clutch issue?

Edited by Joe__

Yeah sounds like more than one problem TBH. The clutch biting point can be adjusted on the cable. If the cable 'slack takeup' spring (next to the clutch lever) is already adjusted to be fully compressed when your foot is off the pedal, then it's probably the pedal box. The creaking might be the weld about to go. The clutch pedal might be below the brake pedal at rest (sure sign the weld has already gone).

The heaviness is caused by gunge buildup between the clutch release bearing and the input shaft sleeve. You may notice it gets slightly less heavy as the engine becomes fully warmed up after a drive- the gunge is not as sticky. Gearbox out to sort that- just needs a clean inside the bellhousing.

21 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Yeah sounds like more than one problem TBH. The clutch biting point can be adjusted on the cable. If the cable 'slack takeup' spring (next to the clutch lever) is already adjusted to be fully compressed when your foot is off the pedal, then it's probably the pedal box. The creaking might be the weld about to go. The clutch pedal might be below the brake pedal at rest (sure sign the weld has already gone).

The heaviness is caused by gunge buildup between the clutch release bearing and the input shaft sleeve. You may notice it gets slightly less heavy as the engine becomes fully warmed up after a drive- the gunge is not as sticky. Gearbox out to sort that- just needs a clean inside the bellhousing.

I'll have to look tonight once I've finished work, if it is the pedal box tho it looks like it'll be the end of the little lupo :(

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Don't finish the car off because of a pedal box.

That's such false economy.

What's your location?

This lupo is my first car and I absolutely love it, but saying that literally every pay check I've had from my new job has been poured into this car and there has to be a cut off point (I'm on a apprentice wage so I'm poor :( ). I'm in Sheffield

Edited by Joe__

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Then it's time to get your hands dirty.

There's only two bolts you need to master to use my patented hour swap pedalbox routine.

teach me sensei

5 hours ago, Joe__ said:

every pay check I've had from my new job has been poured into this car

Every car costs money to run. New cars less so, but are expensive to buy. Old cars cheap to buy, but maintenance costs creep up on you. Normal... But once you've done everything, it's just maintenance and rust you need to worry about. I budget about £350 average a year for bits/fluids, but I do all the work. Tyres are the biggie usually.

• 3 years later...