Lupo 3L drone at about 1800rpm

iwcham1979

Hi guys. I have noticed a kind of  a droning noise at about 1800-2000rpm on my 3L that has persisted ever since it got converted to manual and had a tune. I am almost sure it was not there before the conversion. My egr is deleted and ASV is not working. It's strictly engine related, not having anything to do with tyres or bearings (which are all new btw) The drone is louder if the strain on the engine is greater, but is only noticable in that rev range. Any ideas what might be causing it? Its like there is  poor engine insulation....  When driving I always tend to  skip  the drone by going slightly above the range, but it hurts my economy... Above or below the range the car is super silent...Cheers guys!

It could be plenum resonance? How did you convert the car to manual? I guess everything is standard, but the map has been reprogrammed...

Tell us how you did the conversion. Here in the UK we're interested in doing it also. No-one has done it here. :)

Maybe your map is too aggressive low down the revs and peak torque is too early or boost is spiking, the gearbox wont like it at all and tend to make noises to tell you. Try the stock map and see of the noise goes away.

There is (on the 1.4 tdi at least) a heat shield that can rattle and drone on the gear cables but usually at idle, also PS pipes make a nice noise touching the subframe if not secured right.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry for the late response.... Haven't figured the drone, but im sure it's exhaust related, because the engine sounds louder than it should the moment i floor it under load.   When I am alone there is almost no drone, but when there are say  four people and going slightly uphill, then the drone is pronounced.... As far as the conversion is concerned, we used Lupo 1.0 Parts (gear linkage, cables, the shifter) and hooked it up to the original 3L gearbox... Then we had to  flash the original Ecu  because the car wouldn't even start with its old map... The map we used is a combination of the Lupo 1.4Tdi map and a 3L map (1.4Tdi map with 3L turbo parameters).  The car can start and drive with the stock 1.4Tdi map as well, but  smokes a lot and has miserable performance because 1.4Tdi has a wastgate turbo, whereas 3L has a variable turbo...  This explains the mechanical parto of the swap... Just mute it 😂

Edited by iwcham1979

7 hours ago, mk2 said:

many people want to convert 3L to regular manual gearbox :)

Sometimes, you even find them for sale :)

https://www.anibis.ch/fr/d-automobiles-voitures-de-tourisme--113/vw-lupo,-2001,-206'000-km--29855696.aspx?fts=lupo&view=2&pi=3&fcid=0&pr=1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, mk2 said:

many people want to convert 3L to regular manual gearbox 

Evidence? How many 3Ls are there in the UK? Many? Why would you want to do it anyway? Just buy a 1.4Tdi - there's more of them for a start.

RAB