Exhaust issues......HELP

Lord-lupo

Ok peeps here goes.........

My 02 1.4 16v petrol has just failed its mot on the emissions, think its due to the front flexi and other bits blowing, the exhaust isn't the best so I'm going to replace all from cast manifold to tail pipe, now looking at mine it has 2 cats in the system, 1 on the end of the cast manifold and one after the flexi pipe both with sensors that are connected, now looking online I see that this particular system is supposed to be for a 1ltr wicked and no mention of the 1.4cc, as both sensors are connected I'm guessing it's correct for the car because of the 2 correct connections and the on-line seller has it wrong.

Anyone had this problem before and why the hell do I have 2 cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is some gov't rule about cats having to last the life of the car or 250k miles or something. Might be worth looking into that, as I know that they're expensive.

But if it failed on emissions, chances are that it is running too rich. Holes and rust in the exhaust are one thing but tail pipe gases are another. My bet is the cats are ok, unless physically smashed or contaminated. What are the sump blow by gases like? If you disconnect them and retest you should get lambda=1.00 (pass). That will also tell you that the O2 sensors are working fine. Diagnostics looking at the two sensor voltages might be helpful.

Yeah some do have two. There was a change- like early models have two and later models, just one, or the other way round.

23 minutes ago, mk2 said:

There is some gov't rule about cats having to last the life of the car or 250k miles or something. Might be worth looking into that, as I know that they're expensive.

But if it failed on emissions, chances are that it is running too rich. Holes and rust in the exhaust are one thing but tail pipe gases are another. My bet is the cats are ok, unless physically smashed or contaminated. What are the sump blow by gases like? If you disconnect them and retest you should get lambda=1.00 (pass). That will also tell you that the O2 sensors are working fine. Diagnostics looking at the two sensor voltages might be helpful.

Yeah some do have two. There was a change- like early models have two and later models, just one, or the other way round.

It failed on "exhaust lambda reading after 2nd fast idle"  Garage advice was probably because the exhaust is blowing in a couple of places(flexi is very bad), the whole exhaust isn't the best anyway, but found a complete system from manifold back (with centre cat) for 150, didn't think that was tooooooooooooooooooo bad, the biggest issue is they have listed it as a 1ltr fitment only

On 8/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, Lord-lupo said:

It failed on "exhaust lambda reading after 2nd fast idle"  Garage advice was probably because the exhaust is blowing in a couple of places(flexi is very bad), the whole exhaust isn't the best anyway, but found a complete system from manifold back (with centre cat) for 150, didn't think that was tooooooooooooooooooo bad, the biggest issue is they have listed it as a 1ltr fitment only

Turns out it was me looking at the wrong one, there is a version for a 1.4 at 60 quid more