Lupo GTI - how to replace rear brake splash guards

Dear All,

The time has come to replace the rear brake splash guards on my 04 GTI.

One has become completely detached and I have removed the remains of it. I assume running the car for a few weeks is ok without the splash guard?

After a bit of research I believe the order of tasks is...

1. remove wheel

2. remove caliper (strap up to avoid brake pipe strain)

3. remove pads

4. remove caliper mounting bracket

5. remove disc

6. now I should be able to remove the splash guard remains

Can you confirm the above sequence is correct?

Do I need to adjust the handbrake? Going to just put back the current disc and pads, they were newed not too long ago.

Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Chris

Edited by chrisbwy

Yes - you should be fine without guards - Your  method is correct up till 5.

The splash guard is behind the stub axle, but covering the bolts holding the stub axle on is is the wheel bearing.

If you are lucky the bearing will slide off, unlucky and the bearings stick on the shaft and like to gut themselves as the get removed using a puller.

When I did mine, the bearings came apart and I re-assembled them, at the MOT they listed loose rear bearings in the comments -I now need new bearings

Ideally you need new bearings to go on,  also your stub axle, spacer and beam will be crusty, consider wire brushing and painting  - I rebuilt my entire beam all parts powder coated

Thanks LR5V for the info.

Further VW reading shows some cars with the need to remove the rear hubs/bearings to "pass" the new guard over. You have confirmed this to be the case with the Lupo.

Can the new guard be carefully modified/cut to "slide" over the hub so avoiding the need to remove it? Not prefect I guess but a far simpler job.

I do have a very crusty beam and plan to clean that up in situ. Maybe I should consider a complete rear end strip down over the Winter. Sounds like a BIG job though.

How big a job is it to remove the complete beam and then do the clean up and new guards all off the car?

Are there any exploded diagrams showing the rear axle setup?

Thanks

Chris

Edited by chrisbwy

Thanks yeha,

Still just not sure in this "sandwich" of parts where the splash guard comes.

It looks to me like the splash guard fixes/wraps "around" the stub axle.

Does the stub axle have to be removed to gain access to the splash guard mounting bolts?

I was expecting the stub axle to mount directly to the stub axle mounting plate (16) and then other holes on this plate to take the bolts for the splash guard. If this is the case then I should be able to leave the stub axle in place.

Cheers

Chris

The stub axle set is similar to Mk4 Golf,  I had seen a thread where someone had removed their mk4 stub axle without touching the bearing -

I tried to do this on the Lupo, but you can only get good access to 1 bolt, partial access to 1 more, leaving 2  you cant get at - afraid its still bearing off.

if its any help, this is my spacer before powder coating:

image.png.2dca2e5a1d0a4d901e5edfe2e1c92087.png

IIRC its the RH one, the non rusty area is covered by the stub axle -

From this I can confirm the order is splash guard, spacer and then stub axle, all bolted together by bolts in the green. 

There are spring dowels that keep the stub axle to the spacer- iirc only to in the right hand holes

On 8/16/2019 at 11:37 AM, Rich said:

Bolts in using the stub axle bolts which you will need to replace.

That surprised me! - have you been Frape'd? 

Replace as they're always ****, rusty and I usually end up taking off with an imperial socket....

I had a frappe earlier, it was okay but not great, also free so perfectly fine.

Just made a few parmos, amazing.

Parmo- Its a chicken escalope, covered in béchamel sauce and then cheese, usually baked in a pizza oven just like a lasagna. Think it was invented in Sunderland??? Not seen it anywhere outside the NE.

Powder coating - I just asked for the threads to be bunged up