Seat Arosa 1.0 (54 Plate) Stuck in Gear.

I have problem with my 54 plate Seat Arosa 1.0L where it seems to be stuck in gear. The car itself has been standing for just under two years and had regular services from the previous owner. (I have just bought the car yesterday). The problem it seems to have is that it appears to be stuck in one of the gears regardless of what position the gear stick is in. I have taken the gear linkage off and found one pivot arm to be seized which i cleaned up, greased and reinstalled. The clutch appears to be fully functional with no problem and no slipping. One idea I do have is about the adjusters for the linkages and I am unsure where to set them due to the lack of manuals. If anyone has any idea on whereabouts to set the adjusters I would very grateful.

If anyone has any idea on how to help solve or even properly diagnose the issue I would really appreciate it. If anyone needs more details I will would be happy to say more.

Many thanks,

- Joe

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Take the handbrake off and rock it out of gear.

As its late I shall try tomorrow morning as I don't want to annoy the neighbours. I shall report back when done so, thanks.

Yeah try what @Rich says.

In theory, if the clutch is ok, the gear should slide out of 3rd with very little effort. If it is stuck inside the gearbox, the 3-4 synchro sleeve must be permanently engaged. Not good. If it is that (hope not), it'll need the gearbox out and in bits to fit a new synchronising ring or maybe a selector shaft. The synchro sleeve is designed to lock into place when there is load on the gear (to keep it there) when driving. As soon as there is no loading, it only takes finger tip effort to slide it out of gear (if all is well).

It is also possible that a gear shift component (to the stick) has dropped off. So the gear selector shaft going into the gearbox can rotate, but not slide in and out. You'll need to get under the car to have a look at that. It's a little beige coloured plastic link about 8cm long that simply snaps onto two ball joints.

IMG_1208.PNG

I have somehow managed to put the gearbox into neutral by releasing the clutch slowing and trying to pull off and then putting the gear stick in the neutral position. It went with a bit of a bang and shot forward. I did not expect such a jump forward as the gear stick was supposed to be in reverse but it went forward. However the car can now sit in neutral with no clutch but tends to have a funny noise i can only describe as a chugging friction noise when the clutch is not applied in neutral. I cannot find 4th gear and reverse seams to be 1st gear. I have rejacked up the car and noticed the linkage adjusters have moved slightly so i shall realign them to where they were originally. 

If reverse is first, then definitely linkage. Good that it's in neutral now.

Noise could be release bearing or even the clutch plate rusted to the flywheel/pressure plate.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been focusing on my motorbike to get it ready for MOT.

In terms of the Arosa, I had an engine code come up that's P0303 which i looked up and came out to be cylinder 3 misfiring. Tomorrow I plan on checking spark plugs first as its the best thing to do first due to a tighter budget (Currently in Sixth Form and not working). I had a bit of a random thought on testing the spark plug by first checking the spark and if the spark is good, I shall swap plugs 2 & 3 and see if the engine code proceeds. If so i shall have a look at the coil pack and work on from there. 

The gearbox seems to be able to sit in neutral with a noise when clutch is released, like something is catching. 1st is now first and the rest of the gears seem to slide in okay. Reverse however seems to be some kind low gear. It doesn't feel like it has as much pulling power as 1st gear but at the same time feels like more of a pull than 2nd does. My dad has found a complete engine & gearbox that someone is selling for £100 so hopefully I get a good few parts. If it is the gearbox then hopefully the new one will be much better. I am considering putting in a brand new clutch whilst fiddling around with the gearbox to also see if that solves anything. As the car is 15 years old anyway I would think it would be about time it was replaced anyway if it hasn't been already.

Once again sorry for the delay and thank you for your help.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:16 PM, mk2 said:

Let us know how it goes... They can generate interesting attitudes towards their owners.

Some good news:

I have bought that complete engine w/gearbox which also came with a spare mirror (mines broke), headlights and a brand new alternator all for just £130! Someone was breaking an 1.0 Arosa close to me so I thought I'd get the bits now and save money later.

On this new engine was a gear linkage which was in a hell of a lot better condition than mine was being smoother movement and a newer plastic thing. I have just installed this new linkage and adjusted it so it looked right and checked the gearstick. The gearstick is now almost buttery smooth to put into 1st all the way to 5th going through gears. I was a bit worried that reverse would still be 1st but amazingly it was reverse. So not only do i have what i think is a bargain for all the bits, I have also fixed the gear sticking problem.

Also i thought I would mention that swapping the sparkplugs over (2nd and 3rd) has turned the engine light off and no codes have come up. I will however keep monitoring this just in case.

Thank you for all your help with all of this.

Many thanks

- Joe

Woah hey!

And best of all, work done without pulling engine and box.... result. Once you get it going, it's seriously worth hot flushing the crud out of the gearbox. Take for a run, get properly warmed up and then dump the gear oil with the engine running. It helps keep all the bits of metal in suspension, which get flushed when you drain it. When you collect everything and allow it to settle, you'll see hiw much there was in the oil, indicating how much wear there was in the box (lupo's weakest link IMO). Then refill with 3.5 L of ep75w90 synth GL4/5 gear oil. :)