Fuel filter quick connectors

Was going to replace fuel filter but noticed both connectors are broken.

The connectors need replacing but would it be easier to replace the line? 

Ive already tried putting a new connector on some spare Lupo line I had but was unsuccessful due to how tight the fitting is. It would be even harder underneath the car.

So my thoughts are a new line or second hand. Would second hand ones be any good still or be brittle? 

Does anyone know the diameter of fuel lines?

20190810_140347_zpsadp0vtzd.jpg

20190810_140335_zpse1yusyga.jpg

I did one on a different vdub the other day... same problem. If you can press the release button and get the clip over the ring stop on the metal pipe without breaking anything, it's possible to reuse it. The trick i found was to spray some penetrating fluid into the joint. Then while pressing the release ring, wiggle the clip back and forth till it starts moving, then keep wiggling, more spray and keep pulling till it comes off. Sometimes the O ring retaining tube inside the clip tries to separate and pull out of the clip. You need to push it back in again. i used a bolt the same size as the flange on the retaining tube. It'll make more sense when you have a close look at it....

Then put some silicone grease on the new filter ends, push and click. Done. Pull to make sure they're locked on ok.

The reason they are difficult to remove is that salt spray gets between the O ring retaining tube and the metal tube of the filter, corroding and reducing the gap by expanding slightly, with corrosion.

Thanks for the replies.

I would rather replace the ends so that next time it is easier.

Can I not make the fuel lines from rubber hose? The quick release connectors are also available online.