GTI Throttle Body

When putting the Throttle Body back on a GTI, is it just a case of putting the 4 bolts back in and plugging the electrical connector back in or do I need VAGCOM and to reset positions and all that? Cannot find a straight answer anywhere😓

Gracias!

131773071_Throttlebody.JPG.23b0b62bf58f2643971dc6d7675bbab5.JPG1414448275_Throttlebody2.JPG.abc74a3e19050312a2450283b315f795.JPG

It is self calibrating. You don't need to do anything. All modern VAG electric (motorised) throttle bodies do. The 'off' position gives you enough revs to theoretically get you home, albeit at a slow pace...

When messing with my SDI diesel injection pump, I noticed that it works in a very similar way. One quick calibration just after power up. Horrible when you bump start it though or turn the power back on while 'coasting' in gear.

If the two TPS outputs don't work perfectly in mirror image voltage output, the ECU discards the data and will go into limp mode. If still like that just after power up (and calibration), it'll stay in limp mode. Otherwise it'll work normally and log an intermittant fault on the TPS (1 or 2, or both) signals. Good fun when bump starting cars with electric throttle bodies (WOT for a moment). But the chaps at bosch rewrote the code so that only the very earliest cars did it.

• Like 1

So in a simplified sense, if I disconnect the battery and then whip off the connection on the Throttle Body and then plug the connection and battery back in after cleaning the TB it should hopefully remember the old 'off' position of the throttle. But if not, the car will start run rough but self calibrate the 'off' position if I leave it idling for a bit?

This is why I no longer study Degree level Automotive Engineering...😂

It does it every time you switch on... takes a split second. You can hear a whirr click sound. But some TBs come as they are and the ECU doesn't bother, as it compensates while it's running. I wouldn't worry about it TBH. It'll just work.... Only the really early TBs from back around 1991/2 needed a calibration setup as far as I know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mk2 said:

It does it every time you switch on... takes a split second. You can hear a whirr click sound. But some TBs come as they are and the ECU doesn't bother, as it compensates while it's running. I wouldn't worry about it TBH. It'll just work.... Only the really early TBs from back around 1991/2 needed a calibration setup as far as I know.

Got you now thank you! Just out of interest this only applies really to a Fly By Wire throttle or an electronic one but not a cable?