1L Lupo Tapping noise from engine

Joe__

I noticed this morning there was a very loud tapping noise coming from my engine, it was its worst at 2000rpm and went away the higher the revs. i think it might be piston slap but not to sure so thought id ask on here. 

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Don't use it. Might be the cam belt jumped a tooth and you're hearing valve/piston interaction.

more details please. What engine?

Its just a 1L engine from the 2002 lupo E, dont really know anything more about it. i had the cam belt changed a few days ago, also it settled down as soon at the engine warmed up so i doubt its valve/piston interaction. 

if it sounds like it is from top end then lifters / tappets. You can probably pin it down to one cylinder just by listening to it. Bottom end will be more serious.

Oil level / condition? If new oil was it right grade?

Yeah, in that case, unlikely to be cam belt jump as there's enough timing duration to jump a few teeth in that engine to not be a problem. So just as @Sausage says, almost certainly one of the hydraulic lash adjusters not activating. The engine oil pressure fills the gap (extending the little piston) between the camshaft lobe and the top of the valve when not opening. If clogged or worn out, the thing makes a right tap tap tap noise, which should go after a few seconds of running. Very reliable. Last at least 300k+ miles.

They tap at startup occasionally if the oil drains bcak into the sump after a hot run and cool down. Cheap oil filters can be the cause where the non return valve inside it isn't very good ir oil thats lower grade than it should be. One of the best inventions ever inside an engine IMO. Not sure who owns the patent, but not all car engines have them.