Tdi reverse crunch

Hi guys 

Would anyone one be able to advise please. I’m having trouble with my 1.4tdi lupo gears.

Went ro drive the car this morning and the gears were really stiff. Managed to changes gears and drive but It wouldn’t engage reverse when the car was running. 

People suggested that once warm the car should be fine and to clean the linkage.

Ive just cleaned the gear linkage with wd40 and lubricated it with silicon grease. The gear change is now much better but I still can’t engage reverse without crunching. 

Your suggestions on what to try next would  be appreciated.

Check for slop / binding at the shifter mech. You can move the selector thru all gears by hand, but probably need the cables off it first.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163589140615 you can get the bushes in plastic for a lot cheaper....

While there check for slop on the tower as if that moves about it messes with the gear selection as well.

It could also be the gear lever mech obstructed or worn.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your time and advise guys. It really has been appreciated.

I checked for slop in the mechanism and gave it all another good clean. I then followed the video below on how to reset the gear linkage and it seems to have worked. :) 

I’ve attached the video in case any one else has similar problems in the future. 

Edited by Lupofather
Spelling