Lupo Gti 5 Speed Crunchy 3rd Gear

thejettasetta

Did a search to see if this has already been covered, could I also ask members expertise please?

My 2001 Lupo GTi 5 speed has an issue getting into 3rd gear. At higher revs it can crunch into 3rd, or not go in at first, it just kind of rattles around before being placed into gear. This has got worse slowly. At lower revs it is better. The problem only affects 3rd gear.

It had a clutch @ 105k & is currently on 120k.

Does this sound like a synchro issue?

Is it an expensive fix or is that hard to tell without getting it looked at properly? I'd appreciate any advice & apologies if this has been covered many times before.

Cheers

I've replaced third before and it was a minefield to get corresponding rings and everything due to superceded parts.

Make sure it goes somewhere who knows these things 

Price varies for rebuilds, I would say it will be  2 to 3 hundred for the rebuild. More if whoever does the work has to take the box out - you can get a gauge on what that cost will be from the labour doing the clutch.

Unless you know otherwise, chances are the oil in the box is from factory  - I would be tempted to try renewing the gearbox oil, it wont fix it but may smooth it out and keep you on the road a bit longer.

Failing that, get old school and practice double de-clutching!