Fuel cap disassembly

Does anyone know how to further disassamble the fuel cap?

I need to spray it so would ideally like to remove the flap to avoid overspray etc.

20190721_202301_zps3vmjfntl.jpg

20190721_202323_zpssgfszkuu.jpg

Edited by James_VW

He wants to do it properly :)

does that pin push out?

I want to repair the little rubber strap securing the fuel cap that clips onto the fuel door, but can't figure out how the fuel cap dismantles... anyone?

oh, by the way, you can still get genuine replacement fuel door stickers, if you're trying to make it concours. 👍🏻

I picked up a spare for mine, unfortunately its not to hand, not looked at it in detail -but I believe the flap is one piece, no separate pin.

looking at the picture the black plastic sides slope in suggesting that during assembly the flap expands the sides before locating in the holes

image.png.c70cc2d6010fd79a9a305f5e9baf15d6.png

I would try working out a way to wedge both sides out and slide the flap in the direction and slide the flap out in the direction of the arrow

Fuel cap strap is straight forward, the strap is attached to the cap by a large flat donut which fits in a groove on the cap, insert a small flat head screwdriver between grrove and donut and ease donut out of groove working your way around cap. Pouring some hot water over the cap makes things a bit easier. Other end of strap is held to fuel box with a push fit peg. VW don't sell the straps seperately so you have to source a cap and good strap off ebay, with several sources in the VAG range, Lupo, Fabia etc.

or do it the easy way...

If you look closely where the rubber strap (fnar fnar) connects to the cap, there's a couple of small, 1mm dia., plastic pins. Simply push them through the rotating donut enough to release the strap. Attach new strap and push them back.

Hmm I'm sure I've got an old one kicking about somewhere. Might have to rip it apart to figure out how it works.

I had thought it would be a pin but applying some force doesn't budge it. 

Ah, learn something new every day, thought it seemed badly engineered at the time, faith restored :)

By comparsion disassembling the lock barrel is easy.

Edited by kt_lou_gti

48 minutes ago, kt_lou_gti said:

Ah, learn something new every day, thought it seemed badly engineered at the time, faith restored :)

By comparsion disassembling the lock barrel is easy.

I'll second that. :)

Thanks for the info people. This Lupo forum is great! 👍🏻