Front subframe wanted...

mk2

Too much natural weight reducing going on in one of mine. Welding it for the time being, but will eventually need a replacement front subframe.... could do with a spare rear beam too, just in case. :)

Just about finished welding the damn thing for MOT. It will need replacing. I'm looking at an SE in Basingstoke 30 mins away that's had a front end. If the price is right, I'll pull it for parts and sell off any other bits. Gumtree...

2.jpg

1.jpg

Yeah it is. Wierd thing though, is the other side is perfect. Not a spot of rust at all. Me thinks Fritz was having a rough day during assembly and forgot to squirt a load of wax into the left side. Not a trace anywhere. Other side has loads.

Well it's all back together again, primed and very thickly waxoyled. Should last a year at least... till I could be bothered to do a subframe swap. I almost decided to pull the thing out as it's only the steering rack that causes hassle. i'd have left it in place, hanging off the column. But then thought and so does the exhaust and engine antisway strapping. Too much. Quicker to just weld it all in place. I'll take an after pic when I get a mo.

Started life new in Carlisle for a few years, then Leicester for a few years then me here in Reading. One pattern I've noticed is that cars that start life up north when new rot out much sooner than cars down south. Has got to be weather related. One of my lupos that never left London is like new, but body work is covered in dents- due for a repsray very soon.