Window switch advice please

oldstout

Right then, asked on here about why my sons Arosa driver's window wasn't working and it points to the switch. He's actually had the window up and down using some reset trick with the key (?) So we know it's not the motor..

My question to you clever folk on here is this...

Can I replace a single unit (the driver's side switch only) as these are readily available on eBay for £6-7 and put it into the fixed unit in the door? Or do I need to pay £55+ for the entire window/central locking unit? 🤔

Yes you can replace the switch my drivers side switch also failed a few months back so i ordered a pair from eBay for around £10 i think it was. I believe the switches usually fail as water will run in off the roof and when the window is open it usually hits the switch unit causing corrosion on the contacts of the switch. (I could be wrong) 

Some bits to help, the door card around the unit marks really easy so if you're bothered about marking it get yourself some decent plastic removal tools or have a cloth or something ready to put under whatever you use to get the unit out. 

On the Unit below the door lock / unlock buttons is where there is a tab that sticks out under the door card to keep the unit in place, so you may want to get a flat removal tool and press inwards to depress the tab in which will aid loads in removing the switch. 

once the unit is removed you can remove the switch you want to replace there is a couple of tabs keeping the switch in place i used a very small flat headed screwdriver to pull the tbas back and then pushed the switch out, replace switch and before you re-seat it all in the door card make sure it works. Will take around 20 minutes to do, trickiest part for me was getting the unit out without marking the surrounding areas of the door card. 

(I guess the other option would be to completely remove the door card to gain access) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArosaScott said:

Yes you can replace the switch my drivers side switch also failed a few months back so i ordered a pair from eBay for around £10 i think it was. I believe the switches usually fail as water will run in off the roof and when the window is open it usually hits the switch unit causing corrosion on the contacts of the switch. (I could be wrong) 

Some bits to help, the door card around the unit marks really easy so if you're bothered about marking it get yourself some decent plastic removal tools or have a cloth or something ready to put under whatever you use to get the unit out. 

On the Unit below the door lock / unlock buttons is where there is a tab that sticks out under the door card to keep the unit in place, so you may want to get a flat removal tool and press inwards to depress the tab in which will aid loads in removing the switch. 

once the unit is removed you can remove the switch you want to replace there is a couple of tabs keeping the switch in place i used a very small flat headed screwdriver to pull the tbas back and then pushed the switch out, replace switch and before you re-seat it all in the door card make sure it works. Will take around 20 minutes to do, trickiest part for me was getting the unit out without marking the surrounding areas of the door card. 

(I guess the other option would be to completely remove the door card to gain access) 

Excellent thanks Scott 😜

Its really simple to do, once you know what you're doing. 

One thing i forgot to point out is check the colour of the led for example mine are red to match the rest but i did see some had a blue led and others was white i saw on eBay, no issue if you don't care but for me being abit OCD it would of drove me mad. 

• Like 1