Mileage

dirk1978

So my GTI has done 132,000. It's 17 years old.

Old wisdom is that it's 10,000 a year average. Nowawadays it's more like 12,000.

So my car is still a fair bit below the average. But it's got too many miles to be collectable. 

What are my options? If I sell the car it'll be devaluing it compared to cars with maybe 50,000 less on but haven't gone over the magic 100k watermark in people's minds.

But if I keep it and keep spending money to keep it working well, or improve it towards factory, is it worth doing that? Will it ever be worth it? Or when you get to 130k ish, will it always be a dead duck, even if the steering and suspension is replaced, the interior is perfect, the bodywork has no rust, and the engine has been rebuilt?

It's more of a ponder. I'm not a collector or a big enthusiast. I like the car but I'm more about the practicalities.

So if it's worth my while keeping it to increase in value I'll do that. And I don't know if the money I would spend on trying to improve it (rather than just servicing and maintenance) would be worth it in the long run, because I don't know if the mileage will always be an issue.

Just give it to me then your worries are over!

Seriously though, I have bought and sold a lot of cars over the years and unless you make it a serious business, most automotive purchases are not profitable. Of late I just buy what I want to drive and mile it out. I'm an end user now, I don't even worry about "Is it worth fixing this or that? The car is only worth $XXX!" Nope! If the body is good and I enjoy driving it - I fix it - mileage or resale value be dammed!

For instance the wife's Forester needed a clutch at 130,000, was due for a timing belt and few other odds and ends that we had put off. It's a 2000 so 18 years old and worth $2500 to $3000 tops. I didn't have time to do it and took it in to be done. "The car isn't worth it." I'm told "Too old." "Fix it!" I told him and he did. Cost me just shy of $4000. 

Was it worth it? Ya! It has Zero rust, as in not even a tiny bit - anywhere, top side or bottom. My cousin has one, still driving it at 500,000km, original drivetrain, never touched! So I got me a car in perfect working order for $4000, totally rust free with the potential to last another 370,000km. 

Nothing wrong with that!

Oh and it's the 246hp turbo version too! 🤩

Edited by oprn
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 8:22 PM, Y2ACP said:

Look at the price of a  golf gti mk2 with 150k,I think these cars will follow the same trend.Sounds like it's got plenty of life left in it now engine rebuilt.

These cars are now very old and will be a constant source of trouble for anyone who buys them, engines need rebuilding, brake lines will be corroded, master cylinder failing as well as the obvious ones like the sagging headlining and rust, [only the very earliest cars will be rust free as they were over waxoyled] not to mention the lack of power steering. Finally they have no NCAP rating, so not good to crash in at any speed

I agree with @oprn if you love it. Keep it, you know it’s good.

these days we have 2 choices: new plastic won’t last 5 years cars or second hand god knows what’s been done to them cars.

I am fortunate enough to have one of each. I’d swap either for your gti 😍

1 hour ago, loopydebs said:

Never driven one. More a VW fan than an Audi fan myself. 

I'm not on about swapping you, I don't need another TDI in my life.

A raven GTi though, that would be the keeper.