No reverse?

Hello people I'm wondering if anyone can help me? 

I moved my car yesterday after a while of her not moving with me doing alot of work on her. It went into reverse and I moved it back. Then into first and rolled forward and back into reverse just fine. 

I then came to go into reverse a third time and the car rolled forward like I selected first gear? So i tried again and again and it kept going forward but it feels like it selects reverse? 

I drove it to my new home and every gear worked from from first through to Fifth. When I got to my new place I put it in reverse and still goes forward. 

I put her in my garage and left her there for the night. Today is a new day and I'm wondering what do I do to help select reverse again? What need adjusting? 

I should mention a little bit of gear box fluid did drip out after the third time trying to find reverse when it wouldn't go in? Any help would be overly appreciated. 

The car is a 51 plate VW lupo sport with a 51 plate Polo 6n2 GTI engine and box :)

I've had a look and it's a completely different gear box but I'm guessing it's the same idea? Loosen up the cables.. make sure both gear box and gear stick are in neutral then tighten back up?? 

Like I said all other gears work perfectly fine.. it's just reverse is a forward gear now 🤣🤣 it feels like it goes into reverse so well but it's just first Haha 

I'll try it out and get back to you thank you :)

You need to confirm what fluid is leaking

More likely to be brake fluid - clutch uses brake fluid it could be clutch slave cylinder leaking causing your gear selection problems

Gearbox oil is really pungent smell and compare the fluid to your brake fluid

My clutch is cable not hydraulic buddy. Could this still be the case? Is there any kind of adjustment screws/bolts on the gearbox side of things if the cable adjustment doesnt work? 

I cant find any sort of hole to line the gearknob up in the neutral position? Is it just all a case of trial and error when doing the cable adjustments? And doing it by eye? 

Thanks again mate 

If you want to get dirty, go into the car, open the bonnet, stick your phone light on and look for the selector on the back of the gearbox.

Using your hands get it to click into reverse (you know the noise, when the switch activates and it clunks in).

Start the car with the clutch engaged, go backwards.

How do I know where reverse in? And once it's in reverse and i move it backwards how do i then get it to select reverse again? From inside the car? I dont mind getting dirty it's a hobby of mine hahah I'll do my best yeah thank you.. but where is reverse located on the box? What way do I push/pull? Thank you 

When you run through them manually you get a feel for it and reverse is something you will know when it happens 

Getting it to do it all the time is another step bit you're still in diagnosis phase.

Edited by Rich

22 hours ago, Rich said:

If you fancy removing the split pin and the 10mm bolt then that would make it easier.

I've tried adjusting the 13mm bolt and it seems to go into the "reverse" position alot easier now but it still goes forward :( I cant seem to find reverse :( I'm not very good at pulling and pushing the gear linkage into place :(

First port of diagnosis, if the box still has reverse it is definitely the linkage.

If they don't readjust, my theory of the reverse bit inside failing is valid and its new selector time.