I need a new windscreen... not 4 silly money

mk2

Bang and crack. I need a windscreen...

Being quoted silly money, like £260. The person I used to know in the car glass business has moved on, who told me that a new untinted glass from Pilkingtons or other suppliers is about £63 to buy wholesale. It takes 45 mins to pull the old one and put a new one in.

Are the likes of national windscreens, autoglass etc just printing money or something? The prices are crazy. My insurance company has just said that they could supply and fit for £250. Their standard excess price. Normal price without windscreen cover is £380!!!! What?!

what have you paid?

if there was a car in a breakers within an hours drive, I'd wire cut the old one out and fit it myself. I'm a bit cross to say the least! 😡

What the hell, I paid about £60 via insurance, albeit a few years ago?

How bad is the crack? You could fix it yourself? Done that myself on two or three different cars with great success.

About 45cm long. Right across the drivers zone. mot fail. Mot due in two months. Stone hit the top edge of the screen, just above the sun visor. Over bumpy road and i watched the crack grow and grow and grow.... not good.

Yeah I must be honest and say that didn't realise that the excess on a replacement windscreen through my insurance is £250. "Free windscreen repairs" means exactly that... just fixing little stone chips with resin- Not a new one. D'oh.

I'll have to drive around and see if i can find someone local who can do it for cash. £260 from national windscreens... who are these cowboys!?