Money to burn?

Skezza

On 6/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, yeha said:

It's got shagged sills...

I can't see that closely. It's got shagged everything if you ask me.

It reminds me of Halford's stick-on Barry and it's got about 200k miles on the clock and pre-£30 tax.

Absolute garbage.

42 minutes ago, Darran said:

Price is still a bit high for me. The mileage on the SDI's doesn't matter so much. Those engines will genuinely run forever. I sold mine on 172k and it was lovely.... for a horrible dirty diesel. Still, the mileage is an indicator of potential other wear points.

I must say, the interior on that, much like mine, is in fine nick. I can't decide if the Lupo interior was simply harder wearing than other VW's at the time, or if the owners of Lupo's tend to be more caring? How many MK4 Golf's do you see with utterly ruined seats? 

9 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

The Sport style fog lights are a nice touch

I think it might have the Winter upgrade pack. It has the electric mirrors, fogs and i think the winter pack might have come with heated washer jets? Couple of nice touches.

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

...SDI... engines will genuinely run forever. I sold mine on 172k and it was lovely.... for a horrible dirty diesel.

I've been investigating conversion companies who convert 'dirty diesels' to clean, for use in the soon to be London wide low emissions zone. Nothing older than a 2015 diesel car or 2008 petrol will be allowed... Apparently our little SDIs are actually already below the 0.7 smoke limit (like brand new diesel cars). Even says so on the VIN sticker in the engine bay- 0.7 in the lower right corner. So technically they already are clean enough.

Last MOT, one of mine with 135k miles tested to 0.5 average which apparently is amazing. I have deleted the EGR and gas flowed the inlet, but I still think they are a relatively clean engine. The EGR is what seems to soot them up badly. 

Not such a "horrible dirty diesel" after all... :)

28 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I've been investigating conversion companies who convert 'dirty diesels' to clean, for use in the soon to be London wide low emissions zone. Nothing older than a 2015 diesel car or 2008 petrol will be allowed... Apparently our little SDIs are actually already below the 0.7 smoke limit (like brand new diesel cars). Even says so on the VIN sticker in the engine bay- 0.7 in the lower right corner. So technically they already are clean enough.

Last MOT, one of mine with 135k miles tested to 0.5 average which apparently is amazing. I have deleted the EGR and gas flowed the inlet, but I still think they are a relatively clean engine. The EGR is what seems to soot them up badly. 

Not such a "horrible dirty diesel" after all... :)

It's not so much the dirty part, it's the horrible part. We both know how agricultural they are.... but yes, there's a reason they're 30 quid tax. Still can't take them into London though right?

I have a soft spot for the SDI's mate. :) You know that. I'm thinking of buying one as a backup car.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I'm thinking of getting another to offset the violation of fuel this TT has provided.

I'm genuinely getting 40mpg out of the 1.8T. It's definitely more gutless than my last one though.

8 hours ago, Skezza said:

It's not so much the dirty part, it's the horrible part. We both know how agricultural they are.... but yes, there's a reason they're 30 quid tax. Still can't take them into London though right?

I have a soft spot for the SDI's mate. :) You know that. I'm thinking of buying one as a backup car.

The companies I've been talking to have been working specifically on retrofit gear for vans and minibuses- some equipped with vdub diesels. With my background, I siad I was willing to bung in some time to help crack the aftermarket thing for older dubs, like SDI lupos (and golfs, Beetles and other small engined stuff). Right now there is no demand, but once the whole of london LEZ kicks off big time, it'll be all over the media. Anyone with an older "vehicle" won't be allowed to keep it inside the LEZ without spending £££. There are a lot of older cars in London. There will be marches, protests and such...

Fact: the emissions from a relatively well maintained SDI are equal to the very newest dubs. Ok, so Nox is marginal without urea treatment because of the high compression ratio, but still very good. It doesn't take much to fix it. The ecu already provides live injector quantity data which is the main data for urea injection. A small urea tank, a microcontroller (like an LPG injection controller), some plumbing and an exhaust mod is all that is needed. The wholesale cost of the kit is about £120. Retail currently is over a grand and "installers" (authorised by the mayor of london) are milking it big time. 

Talk is already underway about restricting older cars (diesel and petrol) from going into most of the UK's big towns and cities within 2 years. This will affect everyone...

8 hours ago, mk2 said:

The companies I've been talking to have been working specifically on retrofit gear for vans and minibuses- some equipped with vdub diesels. With my background, I siad I was willing to bung in some time to help crack the aftermarket thing for older dubs, like SDI lupos (and golfs, Beetles and other small engined stuff). Right now there is no demand, but once the whole of london LEZ kicks off big time, it'll be all over the media. Anyone with an older "vehicle" won't be allowed to keep it inside the LEZ without spending £££. There are a lot of older cars in London. There will be marches, protests and such...

Fact: the emissions from a relatively well maintained SDI are equal to the very newest dubs. Ok, so Nox is marginal without urea treatment because of the high compression ratio, but still very good. It doesn't take much to fix it. The ecu already provides live injector quantity data which is the main data for urea injection. A small urea tank, a microcontroller (like an LPG injection controller), some plumbing and an exhaust mod is all that is needed. The wholesale cost of the kit is about £120. Retail currently is over a grand and "installers" (authorised by the mayor of london) are milking it big time. 

Talk is already underway about restricting older cars (diesel and petrol) from going into most of the UK's big towns and cities within 2 years. This will affect everyone...

Hence why I see no future for diesel. Hm gov want them off the road really.

There will be some sort of scrappage schemes and then they will be priced off the road thru taxation and ever tighter emissions testing. 

I cant believe the bidding on this £260 tax SDI, no way is it worth £1500.

What about the HUGE classic car scene here in the UK... not just diesels. ANYTHING older than about 2008. Apparently the London LEZ is being used as a scheme tester for places like southampton, newcastle, leeds, manchester, bristol, birmingham, york and here in Reading. 

Yeah, you're right about the gov getting rid of 'dirty' cars. The idea at the moment they have is, yes, a scrappage scheme to help you buy a BRAND NEW CAR on finance. Great if you're in full time employment (me), but what about many many people who can't afford the weekly payments (£3k+ / year more to find), like cleaners, gardeners and low paid workers on tax credits. Doesn't work for them. They still run about in a marginally safe old mk4 golf worth £200. They carry their buckets, mops, rakes, spades etc. In the back of the car. They're now being told to go by bus or train/tube. Get real...

10 hours ago, Skezza said:

I'm genuinely getting 40mpg out of the 1.8T. It's definitely more gutless than my last one though.

40 would be nice.

But I don't like 1.8t therefore it isn't in there.

49 minutes ago, Rich said:

40 would be nice.

But I don't like 1.8t therefore it isn't in there.

3.2V6? 

The cheek of it, given the pollution from 24 hours a day lorries and Aircraft. 

2 hours ago, Skezza said:

Hence why I see no future for diesel. Hm gov want them off the road really.

They can't get close to their CO2 commitment if they do that, petrol cars are up to twice as thirsty

13 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

The cheek of it, given the pollution from 24 hours a day lorries and Aircraft. 

They can't get close to their CO2 commitment if they do that, petrol cars are up to twice as thirsty

It's not about CO2 anymore though is it? It's about NOx.

CO2 is actually harmless to humans, it's harmful to the environment. NOx is harmful to humans and the environment. We knew this 20+ years ago, hence why the way diesels have been handled by HM Gov is shameful in my opinion.