What causes a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the bottom end?

Most noticable when driving around the 1600-2000rpm mark, if you put the clutch in whilst driving the noise goes away. Goes into gear nice and easy, nothing amiss so to speak of other than the rattle itself, the only thing I could maybe criticise is the fact that on rare occasion when reversing it will jump out of reverse and you cannot go directly from 5th to 3rd gear, you have to get there via 4th. All other gear combinations work fine however.

I had a mechanic take a look at it and he seemed to think gearbox replacement but I've read on here that it's typically a whining noise that is made where this is not whiny whatsoever, it is without a doubt a rattle.

Let me know your thoughts :) 

Same with clutch pedal, when it is rattling lightly touch the pedal and see if it changes and when. Could well be clutch related.

If it is jumping out of gear it could be selector adjustment but I'd put money on gearbox though with the rattle, drain the oil and see what you find, maybe someone has put nice thick goop in there to mask some other noises.

If the noise goes away when you put your foot on the clutch, but still doing 50/70 whatever and still in gear, the gearbox is still in mesh and spinning- so the noise would either get worse or stay the same if it's the box. Any slop/backlash between the gear teeth caused by bearings about to fail would usually give whine. Could be the diff, but unusual if it is.

When the engine is under load, it pulls against the gear selector slightly, or opens up any gaps. I reckon that's what's happening.

yeah, check the oil. Take it for a run to warm up then while still hot empty the oil just after you stop to see what comes out with it. Always worth changing box oil anyways...

"When the engine is under load, it pulls against the gear selector slightly, or opens up any gaps. I reckon that's what's happening."

I thought the same myself that it makes no sense that it's the gearbox as it goes away when you put the clutch down to the floor and you can also hear the noise when in neutral but not quite as loud... Based on the sentence I quotes, what would be the fix for that? Also related to what you said, when you are in gear and driving along, if you take your foot of the gas the gearstick moves forwards / backwards (can't remember which way off the top of my head) it also does the same thing when you then put your foot back on the gas. Quite amusing but figure this could help further narrow down the issue perhaps?

EDIT: Also if I'm going to be changing the engine oil, I'm going to be using 75w90 GL-4, however some people seem to say capacity is 1.9-2.1 litres, others say 2.7 litres? I'm thinking of putting 2L in but that's a lot to underfill by if it actually needs another 700ml (Lupo 1.4 75hp)

Edited by Lupo Tom Lupo

• 2 weeks later...