Bad MPG?

OneLitreBeater

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 1999 VW Lupo as my second car.
I don't know much about Lupos, but I heard that they should be quite economical, but mine for some reason is chugging fuel. I filled the tank to about 4/5 of it's maximum capacity and in a couple of days I only have 1/5 left. Mostly I drove around town and did one trip of about 70 km (45 miles). Then I tried driving as efficiently as possible and still lost more fuel than I thought I should. I admit that a couple of times I tried pushing it to the max. The engine is a 1 litre petrol engine.
Is it me or is my car broken is some sort of way? BTW was there ever a carbureted version of the 1 litre petrol engine?
Any info can help and I will be sure to keep you guys updated and answer any questions I can.

I had a 1.0 Arosa. A while back and found that I wasn't that economical.

Remember it only a 34 litre//7.5 gallon tank.

I plan/planned on 50 miles a 1/4 tank. Any more is a bonus, any less is fun.

19 miles for a quarter is my funnest (recorded) return in the GTI the Pyrenees.

15 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Could be anything... is check engine light on? Do you have diagnostics to talk with the computer?

welcome to club lupo! :)

Check Engine is off, Tried to diagnose with that cheapo ELM327 diagnostics tool but turns out it's "incompatible" and can't connect to my ECU 😕 

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

How are you calculating your MPG? If you actually want to do it properly, there's a certain technique. None of this "oh my tank went down way quicker than i expected" lark. You need to essentially use two to three fill-ups and work with the numbers only.

The 1.0 aren't particularly efficient in my experience. Nor are the 1.4's really. The SDI's and TDI's are different gravy but they're dirty, so that explains that.

As for your cheapo ELM327.... it must be a really terrible one because I've never had one that wouldn't connect with a Lupo. 

7 hours ago, Skezza said:

How are you calculating your MPG? If you actually want to do it properly, there's a certain technique. None of this "oh my tank went down way quicker than i expected" lark. You need to essentially use two to three fill-ups and work with the numbers only.

The 1.0 aren't particularly efficient in my experience. Nor are the 1.4's really. The SDI's and TDI's are different gravy but they're dirty, so that explains that.

As for your cheapo ELM327.... it must be a really terrible one because I've never had one that wouldn't connect with a Lupo. 

Well technically I haven't calculated it exactly. But I don't want to believe that the tank drains out super quick. Even on a 20 minute trip through town I started wondering whether or not I'll make it home driving as efficiently as possible. Mind you I had about 1/4 of a full tank left.

Yeah,  guess the ELM is complete garbage.

7 hours ago, Sausage said:

Dirty air filter, coolant temp sensor (makes ecu run richer map), binding brakes, squishy tyres, too many gold bars in the boot.

Any smoke? What colour? What does it smell of?

Air filter might be a problem, should check on it soon.Haven't checked temp sensor. Brakes are fine, should check on tyre pressure, and all I have in the boot is a spare wheel. No smoke but there is a distinct smell of petrol that goes away.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:21 PM, Sausage said:

If you can smell petrol then chances are it is leaking or evaporating, find where that is from.

Also I wanted to ask this: I have a set of OZ Racing wheels that I'm trying to sell, but no luck so far. Would they fit my Lupo? 6.5J x 15H2 ET 37 4x100, tyres are 205/50 R15