Oil in coolant, help!

Uh, ok. I know nufink aboyt chemistry. So it reacts with air when hot. Gotcha. šŸ‘šŸ»

Mind you if the HG went on a 3L, you may as well throw it away. Head bolts connect right through to the bottom end holding the main bearings in! Not something you'd want to change.

49 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Uh, ok. I know nufink aboyt chemistry. So it reacts with air when hot. Gotcha. šŸ‘šŸ»

Mind you if the HG went on a 3L, you may as well throw it away. Head bolts connect right through to the bottom end holding the main bearings in! Not something you'd want to change.

Wow is that so? Didn't know that. I've done very little research on the 3L, short of simplyĀ wanting to own one for years.

While most consider the GTI the holy grail of Lupo's, it's always been the 3L for me. It's really easy to make a hot hatchback. I mean for gods sake, HyundaiĀ make one now (N30) and it's pretty damned nice. Just stick a well-tuned engine in a car that handles well, add a naughty little bodykit and there you go. Job done.

The feat of engineering behind the 3L was truly remarkable. Only now, 20 odd years onĀ are the motoring authorities starting to appreciate what VW accomplished. It was a totalĀ aberration at theĀ time. Fuel was still cheap enough that you didn't need to think about your MPG, so you had lazier companies (Ford come to mind) throwing archaic engines into crappy rust-proneĀ little hatchbacks (I won't mention which, but we all know the one). VW were so far ahead of the curve, it's taken a full 20 years for motor journalists and what not to appreciate what the 3L was.

A real shame they never blessed Britain with a limited run.