Door Hinge Repair/Replacement

Hi all,

Both hinges and check strap on my driver's door have failed, the door will physically lift off and will go all the way back of the wind catches it.

Question is, can the hinges be repaired or is it a case of completely replacing them?  And if they need to be replaced, does the dash have to come out?

Any help/advice appreciated.  I LPf anyone has done this before in the North West and doesn't mind helping, I'll pay in beer tokens 😂.

Dash doesn’t have to come out but you do have to remove some lower plastic pieces and loosen the dash slightly. Thin arms will make it easier but it’s still a major fanny on. I took my wing off to replace my hinges because my triple square but was too long. 

I’d rather rest a gearbox on my head, I’ve done it and it was bad. That’s how much I hated doing this.

n4hycl.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Respect.

I still need to do the top hinge on one of my SDIs. 

That's @mscherryviolet 's machine, isn't it?

It is indeed although I don’t think she’s drove it this year. She’s an Audi snob now.

Obviously taken a step up in the world. Ooh er. Explains the low interaction levels on here these days I s'pose. I miss all the warnings and major editing headaches from Ray.... :)

• Haha 1

I’ll pass on your message. I wouldn’t say she’s moved up, the lupo is much more fun to drive, the Audi has no soul whatsoever, not like the older ones.

11 hours ago, danno said:

Dash doesn’t have to come out but you do have to remove some lower plastic pieces and loosen the dash slightly. Thin arms will make it easier but it’s still a major fanny on. I took my wing off to replace my hinges because my triple square but was too long. 

I’d rather rest a gearbox on my head, I’ve done it and it was bad. That’s how much I hated doing this.

n4hycl.jpg

Well I have fat arms, so this isn't going to be fun.

I imagine it may be one of these jobs I'll put off until the door physically falls off 

7 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Looks like a complete ball ache. So it looks like you need a short bit otherwise the wing edge is in the way even with the door removed from the hinges.

It is a complete ball ache. Made worse that I lined the door up perfectly; when it was jacked up. Set it down and it shifted. Wasn’t removing everything again so I’m making do for now.

I've discovered that you can actually bend the door very slightly, carefully, so everything lines up again. Not the up and down so the lock pin lines up, but the top bit (with the window wound down while you're pushing and pulling). Afterwards the inside of the car is so much quieter... :)

A couple of years ago i encountered an american hyundai or something that was parked up next door to where i was in a national park. The bonnet was open and people were looking at it. So i wondered over and I offered if they needed any help. They didn't as it was a brand new car, and were just admiring it. So did I.... it was actually running, idling (petrol) and was so quiet I've never seen a car running that quietly. It was very impressive. I'd love to know how they made that car run silently. I mean as quiet as a dishwasher or quality washing machine. Just amazing. My mk2s are all noisy... lupo quieter than the mk2s though. And they are diesel!

• Like 1

Are the hinge mountings on the pillar angled for rear access to the nuts? Because it seems like silly design that makes it more awkward. 

Edit: ok photos above make it look worse than it really is, but still a flatter angle would have allowed tools past the wing edge.

Edited by Sausage

On 5/23/2019 at 5:48 AM, mk2 said:

Obviously taken a step up in the world. Ooh er. Explains the low interaction levels on here these days I s'pose. I miss all the warnings and major editing headaches from Ray.... :)

**** Ray