retro fit brakes

weslangdon

I've gone the other way back to the standard TDi. If you're going to do it, use the GTi calipers with the 280mm carrier. The standard caliper is too narrow for the available brake pads. You'll either have to remove a couple of mm from each pad or just overheat the discs for a while until they've worn down. I do find it strange that the Polo GTi and Lupo GTi were supplied with the same disc diameter, just thicker. Is yours a non ABS car?

Yes non abs and as it's technically an STDI a crap suspension too, the Lupo Sport TDI is a much better set up. I've made the stupid mistake of upping the engine output without first doing suspension and brakes, I knew better 25 years ago

• Haha 1

I have had two Arosa tdi's and one Lupo Sport TDI, the Lupo is much better in its suspension and braking, perhaps its a servo issue. The little Up cars that the VW group knock out today have better brakes too.

Mine doesnt have abs.

Maybe old hard pads or glazing? It had black diamond disks on but currently running standard stuff.

Forgot to say: My brakes were initially crap, utter shite when i got the car, MOT passable but rubbish. Seized piston slider and old hard pads. Brakes are miles better now with used (from the red tdi) standard disks and pads and brakes that work properly.

Edited by Sausage

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Mine doesnt have abs.

Maybe old hard pads or glazing? It had black diamond disks on but currently running standard stuff.

Forgot to say: My brakes were initially crap, utter shite when i got the car, MOT passable but rubbish. Seized piston slider and old hard pads. Brakes are miles better now with used (from the red tdi) standard disks and pads and brakes that work properly.

The slider problems seem endemic, I'll do them first but the Polo GTI master cylinder sounds a useful idea too