Srs hell could this be the end please help

lindylou

I need some support from you guys . I have been a member for 7 years with my lupo who is now 19. I have now been told by vw ,yes the guys who should know ,that the fault on my srs ie. even if they get rid of the fault code the light on the dash comes back on they can’t work out why ... it’s a mystery they have checked it all out and can’t find any reason for it. I have been told that to replace the drivers airbag just the part brand new is 745 pounds. And they cannot guarantee that that would solve the problem 😢x my lupo is  just in  tip top condition I keep her lovely she is a member of my vintage car group I cannot give up on this car!!! Can anyone help with suggestions how I can get her through the mot and keep this car I love on the road. Has anyone else had this problem. 

Yeah easy one to sort... It's either the wiring, the controller or the airbag.

Diagnostics will help a lot. What data do you get back? Is it showing driver's or passenger? Or general system fault (both fail)?

A quick check would be to simply swap for another airbag from a breakers - £10...

It could be the clock spring- which is the wires inside the steeringwheel between the steering column and the airbag. Easy to test with a meter.

If it's the control unit (unlikely, but possible), then you simply swap for another used (but not a crash activated) unit from a breakers again - £10.

pics of car please :) sounds like a nice one. R U on cheap or regular road tax?

Hey mk2 thankyou so much for your reply the fault code is 00588 air bag ignition circuit driver side n95 . My garage has always been happy in the past to reset fault code to get it through mot but this time they wanted me to get it sorted hence me taking it to vw main dealer I thought it would be sorted at least they could trace the fault !! Apparently not so it looks like it’s down to me to keep this baby on the road . I asked vw what they tested they said they checked all the wiring and cleaned under the driver seat but when I asked if they had used a multi meter to confirm electrical connection the guy obviously did not know what I was talking about so I think they just did a ECU check which cost me 60 quid and basically was the same as my garage and the same as my own vag scanner, I think my plan has to be replacing the control unit which I seem to remember people have flagged up as a common fault in the past checking the wiring with a multi meter not sure where to start with that hopefully Haynes manual will help and basically trying to avoid setting off the airbag which is why I wanted someone professional to help in the first place😱x I am going to have to bite the the bullet on this one I couldn’t upload a photo file to big apparently...it’s just not my day x

Also vw did a safety check on my lupo and said I needed to repair a cracked plastic mount on the seatbelt connection where it plugs in but unfortunately they couldn’t do it as they don’t make them anymore !! Omg !!!

If the controller is flagging a fault with the driver's ignition module, then that tells you the main controller (under the heater in front of the gear stick) is probably ok. So that means probably wiring or airbag unit in the steering wheel.

Here's my opinion... The airbag unit is a very simple thing, basically a coil which ignites the explosive propellant, which creates expanding gas, inflating the bag. They are very reliable, as they are so simple.

Which probably means wiring. So this means elimination and probability of fault cause. The most probable cause of a wiring fault is past interference by an untrained grease monkey, a loose connection or a chafing/rubbing/movement related situation causing an intermittant break in the wiring.

Has anyone ever interfered or modified the steering column, for example to replace indicator stalks, wiper controls or fit after market remote keyless entry? - yes, then the fault is probably a loose connection or trapped wire somehwere on the steering column. - no, then a connector may have become loose or somewhere movement between the steering column and the steering wheel has caused a connection to fail. Worth checking the airbag plug and the plug on the steering column. And finally the clockspring unit (which connects the airbag to the steering column wiring- like a mini tape measure- a spiral ribbon cable). 

There's a pic of the back of the airbag and the steering column in here:

https://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/63534-mending-cleaning-lupo-indicator-stalk-lever/

My first step to save time would be to bung in a second hand airbag. Takes two minutes. If fault still there, then strip the steering column and have a close look- first plugs, then spiral connection and damage anywhere. 30 mins. Lastly check the continuity (connection) between the airbag and the controller with a multimeter. Max 2h of labour, more like an hour. The labour will cost more than the (second hand) parts.

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Location?

Brighton i think. I fancy a trip to the seaside... stay in a dodgy B&B. Get some rock. Sit on a beach. Eat chips. Feed seagulls. Just need time off work- in about 30 years.

The reason I think slip ring is because if it keeps going and coming back, then the slip ring is the first place I look. To dumb it down, think of the slip ring/clock spring like it's a piece of sellotape..... if pulled hard enough, that tape comes away from whatever surface it's pushed against.... however if you then push it back, it'll touch again.

I know clock springs are solid and not adhesive but the simple act of rotating the wheel back in the direction of where the break is, can often temporarily fix it. First place to look. Clock spring. Cheap as well.

8 hours ago, mk2 said:

Brighton i think. I fancy a trip to the seaside... stay in a dodgy B&B. Get some rock. Sit on a beach. Eat chips. Feed seagulls. Just need time off work- in about 30 years.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Location?

I am in Brighton x

5 hours ago, Skezza said:

The reason I think slip ring is because if it keeps going and coming back, then the slip ring is the first place I look. To dumb it down, think of the slip ring/clock spring like it's a piece of sellotape..... if pulled hard enough, that tape comes away from whatever surface it's pushed against.... however if you then push it back, it'll touch again.

I know clock springs are solid and not adhesive but the simple act of rotating the wheel back in the direction of where the break is, can often temporarily fix it. First place to look. Clock spring. Cheap as well.

Thankyou so much for your advice guys I now feel much more confident I can sort this.  I went on eBay and can get a second hand bag for 20 quid but first I’m going to check if anything around the steering wheel is suss and you have both given me so much information I understand how it all works now x

My airbag light was on and it turned out to be the clip on the clock spring that clips into the airbag. Basically the metal contacts inside it had been pushed in and weren't connecting. Manoeuvred them back into position, cleared the light and it's been fine ever since. Another thing to possibly consider/check.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skajme said:

My airbag light was on and it turned out to be the clip on the clock spring that clips into the airbag. Basically the metal contacts inside it had been pushed in and weren't connecting. Manoeuvred them back into position, cleared the light and it's been fine ever since. Another thing to possibly consider/check.

Thanks for heads up am about to try your suggestions before I buy a new bag 

16 hours ago, Skajme said:

Thanks for heads up am about to try your suggestions before I buy a new bag 

Thankyou mk2 for the brilliant write up and pictures you put the link for on here . Thank goodness there are members who take the time to give such in depth how to like you x🌟

1 hour ago, lindylou said:

Thankyou mk2 for the brilliant write up and pictures you put the link for on here . Thank goodness there are members who take the time to give such in depth how to like you x🌟

Come back when you've done that. Be sure the clock spring is centred and if you need a new one, replace it. They cost pennies these days.

Hi guys I have ordered a brand new clock spring coming tomorrow thought I might as well as so cheap to buy, I’ll keep you posted x

Prepare for some airbag spring fun.

Leave the 24 on a bit when you wiggle the wheel loose if you like teeth.

Edited by Rich

I am sooooo grateful to you guys for all the support and no how you have shared !!!!! IT WAS THE CLOCK SPRING!!!!!! just did it today new one in and it was really straight forward. Deleted the fault code and hey presto luppy lives to fight another day x I won’t go to vw main dealer ever again when I can ask you heroes ❤️X someone had removed airbag and steering wheel before fiddled with the steering wheel electrics inside and had put a load of grease on the clock spring and other electrics  so I cleaned up all the connections with bright spark and all is now well. I’m actually quite proud of myself! I’m usually confident with oily bits but I was scared of setting the airbag off you gave me the confidence to do it .so if any of you are ever in Brighton I owe you a pint xx

Edited by lindylou
Bad spelling

1 hour ago, lindylou said:

I am sooooo grateful to you guys for all the support and no how you have shared !!!!! IT WAS THE CLOCK SPRING!!!!!! just did it today new one in and it was really straight forward. Deleted the fault code and hey presto luppy lives to fight another day x I won’t go to vw main dealer ever again when I can ask you heroes ❤️X someone had removed airbag and steering wheel before fiddled with the steering wheel electrics inside and had put a load of grease on the clock spring and other electrics  so I cleaned up all the connections with bright spark and all is now well. I’m actually quite proud of myself! I’m usually confident with oily bits but I was scared of setting the airbag off you gave me the confidence to do it .so if any of you are ever in Brighton I owe you a pint xx

Did you centre it?

Yea everything went fine I was real careful to make sure I didn’t put it together in the wrong place marked steering wheel etc But unless you are really stupid the new clock spring just fits in place it is held together with a zip tie to prevent it spinning and when you get it in position you just cut zip tie bingo no problem xx

2 hours ago, lindylou said:

Nice, glad to hear it was such an easy fix!

It was but the hardest thing is trying to diagnose where the fault is in the first place and that’s where everybody’s advice has really helped big time 😁x

This was the gunk on the clock spring connection  !!

20B2F062-8B77-4EC5-A647-FB5268AC6F2C.jpeg

Edited by lindylou
Spelling