Much modified Lupo GTI in Bristol

weslangdon

fubar. Another GTI bites the dust. Not even worth £1600 in my opinion (Reserve not met, barry delusion :D), but hey, at least it has one of those BMC induction kits for I R racecar reasonzzzz.

I mean, for a bit of balance there are one or two half decent bits worth considering such as the leather wrapped door cards, but generally speaking, it's an utter turd. It's Barry bordering on Ricer and Baz is delusional setting a reserve at all in my opinion. If those bids are genuine and not shill then the world is going mad. Poorly modified GTI's like this aren't worth anywhere near what a nicely kept OEM example is. In fact, poorly modified GTI's like this scream "I've been thrashed to within an inch of my life, had an oil change every 20,000 miles with cheap improper spec oil, my brakes are Euro Car Parts generic cheapo's, I'm dumped on my arse so my subframe is knackered..... oh and did I forget to mention I burn oil like a 1970's Chevrolet Vega"

There's also the added extras of horrible stickers all over the interior frames which might not come off as easily as you think..... I'm also not convinced those wheels are legal. They protrude from underneath the arches, which is an instant defect?

As for returning it to stock..... I guess the front arches are solved by simply replacing them, and the bumper, well I guess keep it smoothed and go JDM with the numberplate..... not perfect but would do a job. How the hell do you sort the rear arches out? With a bit of luck, the arch kit is stickerflexed on, rather than drilled? You could theoretically remove it with a **** tonne of heat and then a decent body shop could sort out the remaining mess? However, considering the eBay description screams 'committed Barry', I suspect they're fully drilled..... which means you'll remove to find some lovely holes and who knows what else?

10 hours ago, Silver! said:

Where can I get the wheel arch kit?

Your local tat dealer. £9.99 inc VAT.

Edit:
Oh and just for good measure..... where the hell did that steering wheel come from? It's the kind of thing you'd see in MK3 Lincoln Continental :D 

Reminds me of the black japanese limited edition wide body one that was for sale a year or so back, (which i cant find a pic off just now). That had the bolt on arches and 2 seats. That was fugly too.

Now if someone did a custom car jobbie, hugely lowered then the car was completely cut in half down the middle (front to back), then a 300mm wide strip welded in, modded rear axle, front subframe, driveshafts, rack, grille, bumpers, tailgate and glass- that'd be interesting. Probably look like a squished pork pie or a jam doughnut.

That absolutely modified 57k example for £1200 last week or so was better than this.

Reversible with a 57k GTi underneath.

Probably would have gotten a fair whack back from selling all the crap on it as well....

Another thing...... why does the engine bay look so, like, tatty? If this was a dirty workhorse I'd understand, but this is supposedly a uber racecar showcar innit bruv. Like, this is why I can't stand Barry boys. They'll happily spunk a grand fitting a set of Sparco seats, yet can't find the time to grab a £5 can of engine degreaser/cleaner and make it look half presentable. That engine bay is manky compared to even some of the better 1.0L examples.

Someone will buy it though.

32 minutes ago, Sausage said:

That glittery abomination was quite tempting, still a hell of a lot of work to make it worth anything though.

Yes lots, but worthwhile at the end of it.

They didn't take my offer of 1k and couldn't explain why it had engine work done at 57k.

So I chose not to 

1 minute ago, weslangdon said:

That has some potential though to be not only reversed, but end up a nice motor.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

I like the red one, would have bought it ages ago if it was a lot closer and he'd take nearer 2k for it.

It's the sort of car that's despite being well past its peak still has life in it but isn't so polished or cherished that you'd be frightened to thrash it

Shock, Barry's GTI didn't make the reserve. Now relisted, with some rather suspicious bidding going on.

Bidding so far looks alright to me. (unless you have some tools to show linked accounts i guess) and i'm pretty good at spotting shill bidding. Click on bid history, then click on the bidders in that list and you can see their activity with the seller. Obviously some just use friends and family to get the price up and you wont spot that.

4 hours ago, Sausage said:

Bidding so far looks alright to me. (unless you have some tools to show linked accounts i guess) and i'm pretty good at spotting shill bidding. Click on bid history, then click on the bidders in that list and you can see their activity with the seller. Obviously some just use friends and family to get the price up and you wont spot that.

One user put three bids in rapidfire?