CLUTCH PEDAL PROBLEM

isetta

I bought my 2004 Lupo a year ago. before I bought it I was aware of the common clutch cable support problem above the pedal. My car seemed OK and I hoped that being a late built car VW would have become aware of the problem before then and made a stronger bracket.

Yesterday found that car is not declutching properly and found the bracket is tearing away.

Photo att'd.

I have mig welder and I could easily weld this if I removed from the car, which looks a lot of work that I did not want to do.

I don't think I could safely weld it in the car due to access, may just be possible if I took front seats out maybe so I could lay in there.

Anyway, I took the easier way of fixing it, which some people will regard as a bodge.

I am now using the bulkhead panel as the support for the cable outer. Where the cable goes through the bulkhead there is a large hole with a grommet , So I put a thick bit of metal over this with a hole in it of the right size to support the cable outer. To make sure the piece of metal does not slide down out of place and stress the cable inner I put some 'no more nails' type stuff between the metal plate and the bulkhead. Note that the stress of using the clutch is not pulling on the glue so should be ok.

But this means there is more distance between the cable outer support and the pedal, so there is less cable inner at the gearbox end of the cable. So I had to leave part of the cable adjuster out (the bit with the spring) and cut away a few mm of the cable outer (the black plastic bit), otherwise the metal part that the adjuster nuts go on was hitting the cable outer too soon

Hope it all lasts - seems like it will - at least I only have to open the bonnet to visually check it now and then to make sure all looks well.  It's not like the hidden problem of the original weak bracket which is not easy to check.

Hope this helps someone in the future who needs to fix it quickly as they need the car or hasn't got the money for the proper repair

lupo.JPG