dronning humming noise

creon

the car had been making a droning humming noise from the front left so today i changed the offending sides wheel bearing, the noise is still there.

I wasnt convinced it was the wheel bearing as it had only been present since the mrs got her tracking done, ive had the cars tracking done a second time and the noise remains.

any of you guys can help what i should be looking at next, drive shafts gearbox, gearbox oil?

ive changed tyres front to back and possibly ill get it tracked again as i dont think any one adjusted from the strut to hub carrier, and as i found out on reassembly the noise got worse when i tewaked the camber from here, possibly putting more stress on the drive shaft and cv joints.

car is arosa auc 1.0

does it change with load? change while cornering left or right, and/or, on or off load. noisy while freewheeling or only under load? in any gear? louder with speed? does the pitch change with speed? is it still there if you match engine output to drag (in gear but transmission not being pushed or pulled)? There when braking?

Edited by mk2

Wasp nest most likely....

When a wheel bearing isnt happy it will usually be notchy when turned by hand on the hub and / or have play when rocking the wheel.

As mk2 said try and isolate it and narrow it down.

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed both front bearings now the noise remains, makes no difference if it's turning left or right coasting or in gear. It's not audible under 20mph I'd say and maybe quietens over 60.

It does sound like something fouling but I can't make it out if it's from gearbox area or wheel. I also can't see or feel anything by turning the wheel by hand.

I'm going to remove both wheels tonight and double check the calipers and disc backing plate, then sort out the camber and tracking.

Whilst I'm at it I'll take a peek under the CV gators, the offending wheel bearing looked water damaged they were covered in rust.

Edited by creon

Assuming it is a manual gearbox, while you are there you may as well drain the gearbox oil and see how shiny it is with metal flakes and measure how much comes out, then refill with fresh oil (unless what comes out looks quite fresh).