GTI Oil and Oil filter

Probably been answered 1000 times but I cannot find anything on here!

https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1137

Is this Quantum Synta 10w40 suitable for a high mileage GTI? The specs are all correct but it's not to the VW 502 00 or VW 501 00 if it matters in this case? 

Is there an oil  filter you all recommend too?

I'm new to all this so apologies if it's an obvious answer😁

That's the wrong grade in your link, you should be using 5w40 platnum -it's what I get given at TPS

https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1354

Quantum stuff is made by Fuchs and meets VW requirements.

For filters, I flip between Mann and VW  - I believe Mann are the OEM supplier to VW. Euro car parts carry them,  last time I got some they were doing a special 30% off on filters so it was pretty much 3 for 2.

BTW -  AVS are really good part suppliers

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning everyone :D

I post this for information purposes only in case it is of use to anyone else, VW Customer Service recommended 0W-30 Standard oil (NOT LONGLIFE) to me when I had cause to ask them last year, at that point my GTi had covered 148400 miles.

:)

Martin.

Strictly VW for me, 030 115 561 AN oil filter and Platinum 5W40 oil, mines on 174k and doesn't use a drop

I have no issue with aftermarket oil filters myself. Mann is fine. Hengst fine. Fram used to be pretty good, no idea if they still are. Mann are probably as good as it gets really.

The research guys I know at the BP/Castrol science centre told me that oil only matters when it gets old. Really old. They explained that if you change it at under 5k miles and with regular driving (not really short trips), the additives have only just begun to start doing their thing. Something to do the 4 ball wear test (worth a google). HD oil is different. The lower number viscosity rating number only really matters when caning it with an ice cold engine. Like 0W40 or 5W40...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mk2 said:

The research guys I know at the BP/Castrol science centre told me that oil only matters when it gets old. Really old. They explained that if you change it at under 5k miles and with regular driving (not really short trips), the additives have only just begun to start doing their thing. Something to do the 4 ball wear test (worth a google). HD oil is different. The lower number viscosity rating number only really matters when caning it with an ice cold engine. Like 0W40 or 5W40...

I like to use 5w30 or 5w40 in winter and 10w40 in summer. I remember sticking 5w30 in that uber warm summer in the SDI. Bad idea....

5W30 is too thin in my opinion for these engines, they came from the factory with 10W40

45 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

5W30 is too thin in my opinion for these engines, they came from the factory with 10W40

Just burnt oil like mad. Makes me wonder if it actually provided any protection.

Its not designed for older engines, its designed for more modern engines on the 2 year service scheme, mostly because you've done an oil change by then with topping it up all the time!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

Its not designed for older engines, its designed for more modern engines on the 2 year service scheme, mostly because you've done an oil change by then with topping it up all the time!

@lupogtiboy

Has the VW recommended specification for GTi oil changed since production?

I only ask as Customer Service recommended 0w 30 non longlife to me last year when I had my issue last year....:blush:

Martin.

3 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

5w40 is solid on the SDI. A little bit of consumption which I'd say is expected for an old dirty derv.

9 hours ago, Tourist said:

@lupogtiboy

Has the VW recommended specification for GTi oil changed since production?

I only ask as Customer Service recommended 0w 30 non longlife to me last year when I had my issue last year....:blush:

Martin.

0w30 sounds worryingly thin😂 I was under the impression VW initially recommended Quantum 10w40 but then said 5w40. Cannot for the life of me find exactly which 10w40 they recommended however.

45 minutes ago, Adrian777 said:

0w30 sounds worryingly thin😂 I was under the impression VW initially recommended Quantum 10w40 but then said 5w40. Cannot for the life of me find exactly which 10w40 they recommended however.

I kid you not that is what VW recommended, so that’s what the long life rubbish got changed for.

:)

Martin.