Adrian's GTI clean up!

Adrian777

3 hours ago, Tourist said:

Found the link I mentioned.... :D 

:)

Martin.

Interesting read! After reading it you'd be under the impression it is normal to overfuel but I don't at all believe Volkswagen would sell a car which fouls/blacks spark plugs after only 2 miles of driving😂 On cold it idles around 1000-1200 on first startup doesn't it and then drops to about 800-1000.

Do you know much on the history of your car Martin? Mature or young owners? Well looked after and unmodified? As you can probably tell looking through this thread my GTi has been abused daily and cheaply modified so I still have the idea that a dodgy remap could be causing this but we won't know until VCDS comes in!

In regards to the EPC light however, I believe it did come up with brake light switch fault when scanned using an expensive Snap On code reader but my eBay special reader didn't come up with any codes. 

36 minutes ago, Adrian777 said:

Interesting read! After reading it you'd be under the impression it is normal to overfuel but I don't at all believe Volkswagen would sell a car which fouls/blacks spark plugs after only 2 miles of driving😂 On cold it idles around 1000-1200 on first startup doesn't it and then drops to about 800-1000.

Do you know much on the history of your car Martin? Mature or young owners? Well looked after and unmodified? As you can probably tell looking through this thread my GTi has been abused daily and cheaply modified so I still have the idea that a dodgy remap could be causing this but we won't know until VCDS comes in!

In regards to the EPC light however, I believe it did come up with brake light switch fault when scanned using an expensive Snap On code reader but my eBay special reader didn't come up with any codes. 

Where do I start with mine?

Very briefly- Mine was an ex dealer demonstrator which explained why it was spec’d. with air con., single CD player and Cambridge rear lights, managed to find out purely by chance who PDI’d. it and the salesman whose demo. it was originally, turned out that he had five of them over the space of a few years (and still worked for VW when I spoke to him).

I think mine had perhaps suffered slightly less than yours by the sounds of it, but only just- from what I worked out from the service history and what VW had on file, the owner after the dealer got their money’s worth out of the warranty.... :)

There is a picture or two of it on here somewhere, it’s black and dirty with a very faded and stone chipped bonnet/bumper and all the other wear and tear that comes with a high mileage car, basically standard apart from AP coil overs on their highest setting and a Janspeed rear box with a Longlife centre section, a new VW cat back was too expensive but the original that was fitted had lasted fifteen years.... :D

I think I am owner number nine....

Martin.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, Tourist said:

Where do I start with mine?

Very briefly- Mine was an ex dealer demonstrator which explained why it was spec’d. with air con., single CD player and Cambridge rear lights, managed to find out purely by chance who PDI’d. it and the salesman whose demo. it was originally, turned out that he had five of them over the space of a few years (and still worked for VW when I spoke to him).

I think mine had perhaps suffered slightly less than yours by the sounds of it, but only just- from what I worked out from the service history and what VW had on file, the owner after the dealer got their money’s worth out of the warranty.... :)

There is a picture or two of it on here somewhere, it’s black and dirty with a very faded and stone chipped bonnet/bumper and all the other wear and tear that comes with a high mileage car, basically standard apart from AP coil overs on their highest setting and a Janspeed rear box with a Longlife centre section, a new VW cat back was too expensive but the original that was fitted had lasted fifteen years.... :D

I think I am owner number nine....

Martin.

Ninth owner! Wowwwwww, so a few of the previous owners were wanting performance by the sound of things. How many miles has your car done? Excited to get mine on VCDS to find out what's going on though so unless you beat me to it I'll keep you posted!😁

So front nearside disc which came with the car had warped badly even though they had plenty of life left but AA gentleman said that's due to them being bad quality and heavy braking.

IMG_0534.JPG.a28a195cbe7c5f7314373270ddbaa666.JPG

Incredibly annoying and the steering wheel vibration was just horrendous. Gave it some new Brembo discs and pads from Euro Car Parts, around £60 for them so not half bad personally! There was also a slight brake fluid leak too so slapped some Stainless Steel braided HEL brake lines on too whilst at it. 

IMG_0706.JPG.028dce8c79940dd89e083c7fad38d238.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG.51674dd394380a0a773a610b8494969a.JPG

Appreciate they aren't fantastic images but honestly very pleased with the lines! Ordered them off Kam Racing and the levels of service there are fantastic though! Very quick delivery time to say they were out of stock and they needed making with plenty of delivery updates. Well worth the extra money ordering off Kam Racing instead of other companies as that was a stress free process. 

In regards to the fitting of the lines however, I didn't do them myself due to not wanting to potentially kill my brakes😂 But the lines on the rear weren't a quick and simple job to do apparently as some drilling/grinding needs to be done. Speaking to other owners who have put in braided lines too, some have said it is easier to drop the rear axle to put them on but my garage didn't bother!

Edited by Adrian777

2 hours ago, Adrian777 said:

Ninth owner! Wowwwwww, so a few of the previous owners were wanting performance by the sound of things. How many miles has your car done? Excited to get mine on VCDS to find out what's going on though so unless you beat me to it I'll keep you posted!😁

Erm.... guilty I’m afraid- I am responsible for the coil overs (the original suspension was a bit of an unknown quantity and it sat a bit high for my liking) and the aftermarket exhaust, a new genuine VW cat back was way too expensive and I think the Janspeed rear ‘box looks nicer.... B)

Mileage is just over 154000 and a bit :)

Martin.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tourist said:

Erm.... guilty I’m afraid- I am responsible for the coil overs (the original suspension was a bit of an unknown quantity and it sat a bit high for my liking) and the aftermarket exhaust, a new genuine VW cat back was way too expensive and I think the Janspeed rear ‘box looks nicer.... B)

Mileage is just over 154000 and a bit :)

Martin.

They do look fantastic but the noise is another league:cheeky: Envious of you being able to source a Janspeed rear box though!

1 hour ago, Adrian777 said:

They do look fantastic but the noise is another league:cheeky: Envious of you being able to source a Janspeed rear box though!

The Janspeed rear ‘box isn’t that much louder than the original VW cat back it replaced- in all fairness though, the original centre ‘box did have a hole in it which was only apparent when it was cut off, it was right on top where the MOT testers couldn’t really see it.... ;)

I have got some recent video footage of it at idle after warm up which I will try and upload here, it might take me a while though so don’t hold your breath.... :D 

Managed to upload it quicker than I thought....

The Janspeed was a bit of an accident, I started asking the seller about postage and ended up buying it.... :blush:

Martin.

Edited by Tourist
Add YouTube video link
  • Like 1

Hel really are the best brake lines out there - happy to say I have been a Hel user for many years.

By using all stainless they completely moved the goal posts that the former go-to Goodridge had put up with rusty steel fittings. If you ever need a custom line, go to Hel direct, they make them up to order, whatever length and fittings you require, turn around is good too - seem to recall next day service each time I used them.

One question on your front brakes - did you clean out the sliders? and re-grease? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, LR5V said:

Hel really are the best brake lines out there - happy to say I have been a Hel user for many years.

By using all stainless they completely moved the goal posts that the former go-to Goodridge had put up with rusty steel fittings. If you ever need a custom line, go to Hel direct, they make them up to order, whatever length and fittings you require, turn around is good too - seem to recall next day service each time I used them.

One question on your front brakes - did you clean out the sliders? and re-grease? 

HEL Delivery and production times are seriously fantastic! Less than 5 days to make up and send. I mean having had these lines in now for a few weeks and done probably about 700 miles on em for the money they are great as an OEM replacement to help futureproof the car but it's one of them ones where I wouldn't go out of my way to get them fitted.

Ermmmm:Angel: Hope my mechanic cleaned out sliders and regreased, but at the very least I can see he copper greased the new pads at least! Is it important to do so?

Understood! We'll see what happens in a few thousand miles time

Not including weekend although I did order off Kam Racing who asked HEL to make them and then send it directly to me, ended up saving about £2.00 though by ordering off Kam instead of HEL directly and every little helps I guess:D

Would it have been more you reckon if I got measurements of the lines and then went to HEL direct for custom lines instead of buying the OEM replacement off HEL?

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but been giving the car a little bit of love gradually!

212690705_HTLeadsandCoilpack.thumb.JPG.12d343ee8d226b3c5842ac05845b38a4.JPG

When at operating temperature the car used to misfire and cough at idle which did my nut in so new NGK plugs, HT Leads and Fahren coilpack. If any GTi owners are wondering about the leads they are handmade from eBay by a seller called Mr Retro Leads I believe it was and they're about £35. The leads work fine but if you know somebody with TPS I would recommened buying genuine VW over these as the quality doesn't feel as solid as genuine VW leads! They don't have a satisfying click when pressed into the coilpack like the standard leads do and the outer material is a lot more flexible and softer. It did feel as though the leads would fall out due to vibration but done 1000 miles with them on now and so far so good!

839681225_LEDSidelightsblueXenon.JPG.51c5a3334e9523fc03d77764996df7a0.JPG

Just as a Guinea Pig to see how good Cheaper/Chinese Xenon bulbs are, put 2 new Lunex 6000k bulbs in whilst I took the front end apart to make the washer jet covers fit a little better. So far so good with the Lunex bulbs but whilst there I discovered I need a new passenger side headlight if anybody has one they'd like to sell to me:rolleyes:

Put some Philips LED 501 Sidelight bulbs in too and I must say they do look fantastic over standard:D

1464007131_Cambridgelights.JPG.1bb1281879eb6e6346feff6719178a37.JPG

Last little thing is I picked up some Cambridge rear lights and must say they transform the back end! (FYI pretend the dirt isn't there)

Edited by Adrian777
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

IMG_1740.JPG.f617312feb2703518e45e0ecc7972392.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG.5d31ba60b209f0c300edb34d61ae80c5.JPG

3 months on and the car is on about 210,000 miles now! As you can probably tell by now I am in love with the sidelight bulbs, would strongly recommend the Philips 6000K 501 fitment bulbs which I bought for around £15!

So it has also been around 10,000 miles since my engine rebuild too which was one of the initial doings to the car as we all know and that's still running great but I'll get back to that soon.

With that in mind I invested in another jack and did an oil change using Millers Nanodrive 5W40 instead of the Quantum 5W40 which I'd previously been using. 

IMG_3006.JPG.7f747eb39d61679bce47860d2017493e.JPG

Obviously the price difference between Quantum and Millers is massive since Nanodrive retails at around £75 but from the initial startup and drive, although probably psychological, it does seem smoother and quieter but we'll have to wait for COVID19 to be done with before I can give a better review on this "Ester based" oil compared to Quantum. 

IMG_2995.JPG.9d7ee908ad4a254505de6638a70f4c5e.JPG

So back to my engine rebuild. So for the last few months or so I had a lot of vibration and a metal clunking noise whenever there were any sudden movements or the car was turned on or off, from my MK4 Golf fan boy days I knew that it would have been a lower engine mount.

Turns out the gentlemen who took my engine out to then hand to the rebuilder didn't torque down the lower engine mount bolts... So as you can see one bolt was missing and the other was extremely loose so I imagine the rubber mount had had an excessive amount of stress put through it. 

IMG_3239.JPG.1a54ec7523ab569b80e7476acb7a6ca6.JPG

(Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Bush - Lupo GTI - PFF85-921)

I'm now currently in the process of fitting a Powerflex replacement although the original rubber didn't look or feel too bad but COVID19 entertainment...

I could not find any threads or information at all on any forums about how this fitted so I will give an idiot's guide to how difficult it is exactly for somebody who isn't extremely experienced😝

IMG_3237.JPG.ca40954ea2f2ef4f5dd27a2881819e12.JPGIMG_3238.JPG.e6b7b7a486f0ff182570fd4852a5e576.JPG

So for anybody who's just browsing the internet for more information on this, I removed the blade from a saw and then put it into the bush to then cut the middle section out first (You can see the remains of this on the floor in the second picture above). And then used a saw to carefully cut the PLASTIC outer ring out making sure not to cut too deep into the arm itself. Bare in mind that it is plastic so you don't necessarily need to cut all the way down as to force out the plastic ring which surrounds the rubber, I used a flathead screwdriver to pry it out. 

I'm currently in the process of sorting the corrosion on the arm and painting it so I've not yet pressed the bush in but I will update this thread once completed!

Bare in mind before I get attacked, obviously there will be better ways of doing it but this is a half assed guide for somebody who does not have access to all types of fancy tooling

Edited by Adrian777

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Sure they didn't over torque the bolts on the bottom of the box and strip the threads?

I did worry that was the case but I've screwed the correct bolts into the threads and both internal threads are fine like the bolts go in smoothly without any excessive movement!

17 hours ago, Adrian777 said:

So for anybody who's just browsing the internet for more information on this, I removed the blade from a saw and then put it into the bush to then cut the middle section out first (You can see the remains of this on the floor in the second picture above). And then used a saw to carefully cut the PLASTIC outer ring out making sure not to cut too deep into the arm itself. Bare in mind that it is plastic so you don't necessarily need to cut all the way down as to force out the plastic ring which surrounds the rubber, I used a flathead screwdriver to pry it out. 

Jigsaw is a quick/easy way for most ali and plastic "press-in" bushes, even if you do have a power press to push them out. Quicker... :)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Do they torque up or slip round though?

Don't have a foggiest what the VW recommended torque setting is but I'm happy enough with how the bolt screws in the thread to know it shouldn't cause me any issues when tightening it again even without Loctite.  

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Jigsaw is a quick/easy way for most ali and plastic "press-in" bushes, even if you do have a power press to push them out. Quicker... :)

Aye I've seen many people use similar methods such as using hole saws etc to remove bushes but I'm just trying to demonstrate to the internet that it is possible without any power tools or anything more complicated than a saw and flathead screwdriver! 

1 hour ago, Adrian777 said:

Aye I've seen many people use similar methods such as using hole saws etc to remove bushes but I'm just trying to demonstrate to the internet that it is possible without any power tools or anything more complicated than a saw and flathead screwdriver! 

yeah, i drilled mine out! The powerflex one, you'll think you won't be able to get it in, but like a lot of things in life, if you use enough force and some gentle lubrication you'll get it there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skajme said:

yeah, i drilled mine out! The powerflex one, you'll think you won't be able to get it in, but like a lot of things in life, if you use enough force and some gentle lubrication you'll get it there.

id use as little lube as you can on this one, ive had one on my gti pop out. it does get abused though

• Like 1

Managed to get it in using minimal amount of lube without issues! Just used a small basic workshop vice to press it in, so to summarise yes it is possible to put in a GTi Powerflex lower engine mount for a weekend warrior without using any power tools. Halfords advanced socket set, saw, flathead screwdriver and vice. If the arm itself doesn't need painting and doesn't have any corrosion on it then it's not a long job either! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gearbox Oil today!

1282990907_MillersGearboxOil.thumb.JPG.0c0e901c56d39cc08735551c69bd2d2c.JPG

Used this stuff! If anybody is looking to buy Millers Oil for cheap, check out ID Workz, performance part shop local to West Yorkshire but sells Millers Oils a lot cheaper than Opie, etc.

Anyways I had a good laugh/cry when I drained the box to find about 20ml of oil came out, there is an end cover sealant leak which will be addressed asap. Box feels and sounds a lot better now however.

909794406_GearboxOil.thumb.JPG.22a92dd6662e40c253f3e5d57ffcfa8a.JPG