Adrian's GTI clean up!

Adrian777

They haven't put the screws into the bumper from inside the wings.

I'd suggest ordering two of those up before you begin.

Maybe even the Audi stainless arch liner screws?

• Like 1

I wish my pockets were as deep as yours when it comes to cars 😲 I fully understand wanting to restore a GTi by all means but by the time your finished you could of had a 20v turbo engine in for the same price... Shop around and try find better deals. Your sump cost more than my entire car 😂

Go and weigh the catalytic converter in for some money back, I got £90 for mine and just get one long piece of stainless pipe to connect the downpipe to the back box 😈

Keep up the good work though.

Edited by Jamie/Arosa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jamie/Arosa said:

I wish my pockets were as deep as yours when it comes to cars 😲 I fully understand wanting to restore a GTi by all means but by the time your finished you could of had a 20v turbo engine in for the same price... Shop around and try find better deals. Your sump cost more than my entire car 😂

Go and weigh the catalytic converter in for some money back, I got £90 for mine and just get one long piece of stainless pipe to connect the downpipe to the back box 😈

Keep up the good work though.

Which is fine until MOT time when it will fail for not having a catalyst fitted

I'm glad things are on the mend with this car, it's nice to see a GTI being restored rather than stripped and sold off

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Which is fine until MOT time when it will fail for not having a catalyst fitted

I'm glad things are on the mend with this car, it's nice to see a GTI being restored rather than stripped and sold off

He could get a nice stainless sports one?  Or you go to a friendly MOT man. 

• Like 1

Seriously happy about the 6th gear, I kept wondering why the revs were a little higher than expected at motorway speeds but now we know😂

Had a lot of comments from people like colleagues and friends calling me mental for chucking that much money into a Lupo but there's just something about the power delivery and noise of the 1.6 which gets us a massive smile guaranteed. #Worthit

Honestly makes me sad though when seeing GTI's stripped for parts or butchered which is the reason I'm trying to give this one a second chance at life.

• Like 1

Did some small bits today so painted the I badge for starters and what a difference that makes!

425174680_RedGTIbadge.JPG.b5fe2035b20864331fdbae0f6a648c9a.JPG

Next part may be a little controversial however😛 Saw that gentleman Paul with the Raven Blue GTI stick a 16V badge on it and thought it looked fantastic. Ordered one that was designed for a MK2 GTI so slight mistake there as it looks a little big but I still don't think it looks too awful.

189148246_16Vbadge.jpg.cdb9eff350ac6cd9d15a925eee7f11a5.jpg

1163443386_Grillon.JPG.4953195f0212a73ce3378785afc6c34e.JPG

Will grab better pictures in the light!

Nextbase 522GW front and rear dashcam fitted today!

246331685_522exterior.JPG.66012feb4eca68588c5f3cfce023b039.JPG

1747897215_522rear.JPG.12747e8b1cb64753ee79a60ebe9fb924.JPG

So yes it can be done on the Lupo even with the lack of interior trim. All the cables are tucked under the side of the headlining and some go through a door rubber. The ignition live fuse that was used was a 5A horn fuse I believe but will double check if anybody is interested.

964621045_522interior.JPG.79ef4de5d8c0cca2f482e665b598f944.JPG

Still to play with Alexa however but so far so good😁

Also fitted some new Bosch wipers since GSF had their standard 60% off sale! As a definite answer though, 19" wipers for both the driver and passenger side works fantastic on the GTI with no issues!

It does look a little big to me too. I've been running this badge on mine for years, it's from a MK2 Golf GTI 10th Anniversary Edition, I found it at VW Spring Fest years ago, think it looks great! Might be hard to find now though....

16VBADGESMALL.jpg

• Like 2

So learnt a lot of valuable lessons this week, but please correct me if wrong😂

Did my fuel filter yesterday and did the normal process of pulling the fuel pump fuse out and trying to start the car to clear the fuel out of the lines. My smart ass then decided to try and then remove the filter straight away. Unfortunately the hoses wouldn't budge so I ended up pulling and twisting as hard as I could and then forgot it was pressurised so got a face and eye full of V Power... Should I have waited a few hours before pulling the filter out though? Old one did look awful!

1266477562_Fuelfilter.JPG.a6d8d81e5570f572a0ef4315d7b11aed.JPG

Had the car emissions tested, I can confirm that the car is definitely over-fuelling and running rich so this headache continues. So far the Pre Cat O2 sensor, Thermostat and Coolant temperature sensor has been changed but it's still running rich!!!

1623332397_Coolanttempsensor1.JPG.e864ae25b38435b4ebe1bea2fdd953a6.JPG

I will be changing the MAP Sensor and if that doesn't cure it, change the slightly blowing centre silencer and get it remapped as I'm praying the injectors aren't faulty. Yes getting it remapped may sound like a stupid idea but I genuinely have a suspicion that one of the previous owners has "Chipped" it or done some sort of cheap "remap" that tricks the engine into thinking it's cold to dump more fuel in. It may sound unlikely but this owner was also the guy who couldn't even buy an O2 sensor correctly and bought one that had a wire which was about 6,000,000 feet long but cable tied it so I need to keep the ideas open to the causes of over-fuelling. 

Took another attempt at repairing the cracked engine cover though but this time used Supa-Fix, works wonders this stuff but we'll see how it holds up against time!

369185989_Repairedenginecover.JPG.906843fb5da03678fa830b2fac5fdedf.JPG

In the meantime though, the car hit 199K so nearly in the 200K club and I picked up an original grill with all of the clips intact with the front badge for under £30 so thank the lord for Facebook Group selling

199k.JPG.c71327b317c16f07a4afeeee4b788038.JPG18823413_Newgrill.JPG.4eca3a2b78a24db3f51e75234ab86ac9.JPG

Edited by Adrian777
  • Like 1

The recent bad weather revealed a lot more problems which were unknown...

Completely shat it the other day when pulling out of a junction and front wheels just kept spinning up, budget tyres is a no now so will end up investing in some Uniroyal Rain Sports or some of decent tyres since I heard the wet grip on Proxes aren't great. 

Shat it again yesterday when discovering the demisters didn't work anymore so couldn't see anything. Water has got in somewhere so the condensation on the windows just gets worse and I can hear like a boiling/bubbling noise when the heaters are on full.

Investigated it today to find this:

1067268642_Cabinfilter2.JPG.0c141153bae80202fe55853228980379.JPG

So this cabin filter was just replaced a couple of months ago and it's already disgusting so there's got to be an obvious place where things are entering.

Pulled the cabin filter out and found lots and lots of water in that hole underneath it, soaking badly...

280587940_Undercabinfilter.JPG.8e76d06ad779ecba79c2ec389bd8ed4e.JPG

Soaked up the water to find it smells surprising alright but a bit greasy😂

Then put the heaters on full to see if that would help get rid of the water. I now believe the heater matrix has died...

994450460_Wetfloor.JPG.2241f33f931fadea24becf7b8c0ebd4f.JPG

Soaking interior floor on both driver and passenger side, but all the rubber seals look great so I'm confused to where about so much water and leaves could be entering from.