Lupo 3L 1.2tdi Spares or Repair - SOLD

adr1an

Yep Rich Cornwall appears to a long way from most places, sorry about that.  That was my thinking Mk2 as there aren't many in the UK. Some years ago I remember  reading there were only 10. I had every intention on getting it back on the road but time moves on and I'm not getting time to sort it. My other half has been, In her opinion "very patient" and I suppose eventually I've told her she's right, I'm not getting round to doing it so it has to go and when it does, it will be a sad day. 

Edited by adr1an

Weslangdon - I've read that some have converted back to a standard box, though tbh cant remember anyone doing it the UK. Been a while since I researched it though and it would add extra weight to the car amongst other things which defeats the purpose of the 3L.  Though my feelings about that don't matter, the next buyer could do with it as they choose I just rather it be used again. 

Sausage - I'm not in a great deal of a rush, though my other half is. The last time I tried to start it, it ran but stopped straightaway (immobiliser issue) so i'd have to say no it will not go under it's own steam. 

Edited by adr1an

The engine and gearbox controller are linked... not a simple "bung in a manual box to convert it" jobbie. But did just get me thinking- if you left the shifter sensor in N, you can happily rev the engine through it's entire range. If you could do that, would it be possible to trick the ecu, even when the car is under load to make it power a manual box? I don't know enough about these lovely 3L engines. Aren't they similar to other 3 pot TDIs??? As in, could you use the ECU from a TDI?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mk2 said:

The engine and gearbox controller are linked... not a simple "bung in a manual box to convert it" jobbie. But did just get me thinking- if you left the shifter sensor in N, you can happily rev the engine through it's entire range. If you could do that, would it be possible to trick the ecu, even when the car is under load to make it power a manual box? I don't know enough about these lovely 3L engines. Aren't they similar to other 3 pot TDIs??? As in, could you use the ECU from a TDI?

Canbus on the gearbox side of things, a 1.4 TDI ecu could work if you put VNT N75 map in it or flash A2 90HP map to it.

Beyond 90HP it needs manual conversion anyway as clutch is always loaded with the standard setup so slips much sooner than a manual 085 box.

Are these like the SDI 085 box and use same bell housing pattern as bigger TDI (I looked yesterday and didnt find the answer)?

Sent you a PM Adr1an.

Edited by Sausage

Looks a like the 085, but the bellhousing angle is shifted so the engine must be leaning forward? On the SDI, the engine leans back a few degrees. There is something i read in the self study guide about the half shafts being different, because the diff flange position is in a different position. More in line...

I wonder if it'd be possible to adapt the 3L box to be operated by foot clutch. The shifter would be the same as normal.... then you'd just need throttle control. That's the problem.

Edited by mk2

He said in the comments:

"Shifter fits from a polo 6n, you need to make a special bracket for the cables though. You also need to cut the catalytic converter pipe, for it to get closer to the right, in order to make room for the cables. This is all availble on the internet. The ecu needs to be from a polo 1.4 tdi, however be aware that the polo uses a wastegate turbo where the lupo is a vnt. This is also available on the internet. Finally the pedals, the pedal box can be used from a polo aswell, however you need to cut the gaspedal bracket off from the original and weld it on to the polo one. There is a bit of wiring that needs to be cut and soldered, however this is all in the guide."

German guide: http://www.vag-tuning.com/images/Umbau_Getriebesteuerung_3L_auf_manuelle_Betaetigung_2.pdf

For the RHD version, i'd guess you could use a standard pedal box. I bet the gear linkage from a standard lupo 085 box could be used inside the car, with a gearbox cable bracket the same as the SDI bracket that bolts to the bell housing bolt. That's the easiest bit of the conversion.

...yeah, you'd still need to get around the turbine controls. My preference would be to use the stock ECU map, and somehow, yeah 'somehow' disable the automatic gear shifting and throttle control. Absolutely no idea how you'd even begin that without the address tables inside the ECU. Ah, unless it'd possible to somehow suck out the standard map from the stock eCU and load it into the tdi ecu...?

certainly an engineering challenge. Be nice when done though as everything would be almost 100% stock.

There's a lot of graft right there imo. Plus I assume this would remove all the free tax benefits. I'd rather just fix it up as it is, but it's so bloody far away :( 

I reckon you could get away with the conversion without anyone really knowing... same box, same engine. Just manual controls now. It would be a nice one to own. Then, I'd also try and convert to RHD...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Just thought - RAB has a 1.2 A2. Did they make a manual version RAB? The ECU from that would be plug and play?

I have often thought this.